Garmin Edge 520 - can I Pause a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heather

I now have one of these and the pause thing is really really annoying me.

I use the data screen rather than the maps screen mostly- time/heart rate/speed etc. If I want to stop it/pause in a ride- traffic lights, huge traffic queue etc, then I hit the stop button. When I press start it goes off the data screen and onto the map screen and I. Have to flick thru the screens every time while riding, on a busy commute this is REALLY irritating. Is there a way to stop it flicking screens, wish I had never bought it :sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I now have one of these and the pause thing is really really annoying me.

I use the data screen rather than the maps screen mostly- time/heart rate/speed etc. If I want to stop it/pause in a ride- traffic lights, huge traffic queue etc, then I hit the stop button. When I press start it goes off the data screen and onto the map screen and I. Have to flick thru the screens every time while riding, on a busy commute this is REALLY irritating. Is there a way to stop it flicking screens, wish I had never bought it :sad:

I am guessing that it has an auto stop feature you can enable.

Edit: A quick google says I am right

Using Auto Pause
You can use the Auto Pause® feature to pause the timer automatically when you stop moving or when your speed drops below a specified value. This feature is helpful if your ride includes stop lights or other places where you need to slow down or stop.
NOTE: History is not recorded while the timer is stopped or paused.
Select Menu > Settings > Activity Profiles.
Select a profile.
Select Auto Features > Auto Pause.
If necessary, select Auto Pause Mode.
Select an option:
Select When Stopped to pause the timer automatically when you stop moving.

Select Custom Speed to pause the timer automatically when your speed drops below a specified value.

If necessary, customize optional time data fields (Customizing the Data Screens).
The Time - Elapsed data field displays the entire time including paused time.

Heather

Yeah I know about the auto pause (thanks tho for looking!)

I want manual pause tho, if I just want to wiggle thru a line of cars to get to the front of a queue etc, auto pause reactivates when I don't want it to- I want to choose when to start/stop. With the 05 you just pressed start/stop, which you can do here but it flicks screens and it's so annoying

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
In a traffic situation like that I'd be spending my time looking forward/to peripheral, not down for a button on a garmin.

You can't manual pause. All you can do it start or stop (as is the case when auto-pause is not enabled)

Colin_P

Guru
I know it is more money but if you use the wheel hub mounted speed sensor and better still a cadence sensor as well, the auto pause works really well in so far as it comes out of pause as soon as it senses any movement rather than relying on the satellite position difference to wake up.

I do lots of off road stuff where I often used to loose signal and the speed sensor really helps with that also.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I know it is more money but if you use the wheel hub mounted speed sensor and better still a cadence sensor as well, the auto pause works really well in so far as it comes out of pause as soon as it senses any movement rather than relying on the satellite position difference to wake up.

I do lots of off road stuff where I often used to loose signal and the speed sensor really helps with that also.

That's a good shout and I have one for sale right here on cc (speed sensor that is) £15 for any one that wants to improve there Garmin setup :biggrin:.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/garmin-bits-cassette-and-seat-post.205391/

[QUOTE 4461207, member: 45"]Your average speed is affected every time you stop. So if you do a long ride with no lights and a long ride with lots of red lights it will mess up your stats.[/QUOTE]

Stats, hmm,
Depends how you work them out surely! Moving average would be the same such as strava etc would show.

Top Bottom