Garmin edge 520 vs touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt12345

Looking to get a new garmin as at the moment I only have a garmin edge 25. I have a budget of £200 and the only 2 Garmin's in this range is the garmin touring plus £150 or the garmin 520 currently on sale for £180.

What one would you get and why?

vickster

Legendary Member
What features do you want? Mapping or more performance measurement stuff?

You might also want to check how they upload, e.g. If you need Bluetooth uploading etc

Think DC Rainmaker is the go to resource for info on garmins

OP
OP
M

Matt12345

Well I do want mapping as I have recently moved and not to sure on routes I haven't got a cadence or hrm but will be good to know I have the option to use them.

But will the touring be better then a 520 for mapping if I uplaod cylewithgps maps on the 520

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if the 520 actually does mapping on the fly? Or do you have to pre plan everything. Which seems a tad pointless to me

I'd go for the touring, unless it doesn't do Bluetooth upload as attaching to a PC nowadays isn't always convenient

Check DC rainmaker as I said

OP
OP
M

Matt12345

What do you mean by mapping on the fly?

The touring also does not have Bluetooth which is annoying

vickster

Legendary Member
What do you mean by mapping on the fly?

The touring also does not have Bluetooth which is annoying
Being able to just stick a destination or postcode in and away you go, like a car sat nav, rather than only being able to follow a pre planned route some on rwgps or similar

Any chance of a second hand 810 for your budget or thereabouts?

OP
OP
M

Matt12345

I may have sourced an 810 for £140! I think that may be the best option and will save me some £££

OP
OP
M

Matt12345

I will have to double check but surely I could download maps from open street maps for free to the device?

broady

Veteran
I quite liked the 810 unit and was so much better than the touring unit. I've never had the 520, but I'd still chose it over the touring one.
I just sold my 1000 explorer for £150 as I hadn't used it since November. The 1000 series are definitely my favourite from all the ones I've tried

Top Bottom