Garmin Edge 705 data processing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobbles

I'm not a total computer novice but this unit makes me feel retarded!

I've set up Garmin Training Centre and Bike route toaster - Can anyone tell me how I can take the data on the unit from a recent ride and transfer it to a program where I can analyze the route on a map similar to those on Bike Route Toaster?
I can get the info On the Garmin Training Centre but the token map there is of no use(much too vague)

I just want to be able to trace where my ride took me so I can keep that route to use again.

Thanks in advance ;)

gavintc

Guru
I recently got a 705 and use Sportracks. However, in my opinion, the only weakness with the Garmin Training Centre is the map. So, currently I am using both as I would like to update / upgrade the map on the training centre. When I can find out how to do that without spending a fortune, I will probably use the training centre.

OP
OP
W

Wobbles

My problem is getting the map of any ride I've done onto screen so I can study and file it so I can go on it again/modify it.

What programs can I download to do this - Am I correct in thinking that Bike Route Toaster can't do this?

:eek:

Wobbles said:
My problem is getting the map of any ride I've done onto screen so I can study and file it so I can go on it again/modify it.

What programs can I download to do this - Am I correct in thinking that Bike Route Toaster can't do this?

:eek:

You can export the ride as a .tcx (history) file from GTC and upload it to www.bikehike.co.uk, among others. You can also upload it directly from the device. You can get a free account at www.motionbased.com to upload all your rides to.

jimboalee

Have you got Mapsource Topo GB on your 705 ?

This helps.

When I have ridden a ride and saved it as a 'lap', I upload it to Garmin Training Centre, using

File - Receive from Device.

Highlight the lap I want to repeat.

Right click on it and choose "Create course from Activity".

Training centre will create a 'Newcourse'.

Next, its

File - Send to Device.

Unplug the Garmin, switch it on and go

menu - Training - Courses, and choose the Course.

Select 'Do Course'.

With Topo GB, I get a turn-by-turn 'pop-up' instructions to take me round the course.

Fantastic ;)

jimboalee

I did say 'Fantastic', but there is one minor problem.

The 'Course' that is uploaded and downloaded can't be altered.
If the Garmin records an incorrect point, its there forever. You have to use a bit of common sense when following the Course.;)

OP
OP
W

Wobbles

bleakanddivine said:
You can export the ride as a .tcx (history) file from GTC and upload it to www.bikehike.co.uk, among others. You can also upload it directly from the device. You can get a free account at www.motionbased.com to upload all your rides to.

I've started with this one(cheers bleakandivine) as it's very simple.....bit like me:ohmy:
I'll check all the other options out as I get more au fait with the 705.

At last, I can start to enjoy the joys of of my Xmas present!

Thanks for all the advice fellas :smile:

Top Bottom