garmin edge 705

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogersavery

My experience so far:

- bought July 2010
- works well, very feature rich, but the interface is difficult to navigate (some screens can only be displayed with several key presses and only from certain screens)

- Aug 2010 - unit can no longer transfer data, uk garmin technical cannot help, so took it back to retailer for an exchange

- October 2010 - half way through an 8 day LEJOG, the pre loaded courses disappear, unit can no longer connect to my laptop - managed to get some courses loaded onto the builtin SD card - history is recording on the 705 ok, but now doesnt appear on the laptop and cant be transfered to garmin connect
So far the uk technical supports only solution on offer is to reformat the unit (losing the history) and start again

hmm... 3 month and 2 major issues - is this really suitable for cycle touring?

akaAndrew

is this really suitable for cycle touring?

Personally, I've always been of the opinion that they're not. I'd suggest opting for an Garmin Etrex type of GPS for touring, if you wanted to go the way of GPS. Primarily the battery situation but also reliability. As with any high tech gadgetry, there's more to go wrong!

To be perfectly honest, I'm not super impressed with the Edge range's reliability. Sure, experiences are mixed and some people have had absolutely no problems with them but I've also read a number of stories of problems too. I myself had to get a replacement for my 305 after only 18 months because it stopped picking up satellites. They're not cheap bits of kit and, imo, you really do want them to last longer than a couple of years. As much as I like the look of the new Edge, the reliability issue (for something that's that expensive) IS a factor for me.

Steve H

Large Member
Sounds like you've had some pretty poor experiences Roger. I've had a Garmin 705 for a few months now and it's been great. No problems whatsoever (quickly touches wood)! Used it in bright sunshine and pouring rain, without any issue.

gavintc

Guru
I got one for Christmas 08. It lasted till Jan 10 and then stopped loading to the laptop. Got new one under warranty, it lasted 4 months before same problem. I am now on 3rd version, it mostly works, but occasionally does not recognise the laptop. Not terribly impressive! I will be surprised if this one makes it to the first year.

avsd

Guru
I have had an Garmin Edge 305 since Apr-07. It has been great. Always want a fault to develop so I can upgrade

One of the problems with the edge might be the conditions it has too cope with, generally its fitted to a bike thats faster and has narrower tyres and probably subject to more vibration. My first GPS was a geko, it lasted OK for over a year but when I put narrower tyes on my sirrus it died over night. It was replaced with a 305 and it was ok for just over a year it then started to swich off often on the ride. At first it only did that once or twice or not at all and only on really bad tarmac but over the next 6 months it progressively got worse (switching off 3-4 times every ride) and I emailed Garmin. They sent me a replacement FoC :-) Very quickly though I found the system locking up or displaying a systems diagnostic screen instead of switching on. More recently its tended to lose its charge unless charged up immediately before a ride. Other than this though its lasted over a year no problem; I hope it holds out I can't really afford to replace it at the moment.

Top Bottom