Garmin Edge 800 speed/cadence sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Thanks! I didn't see your post so just turned it off and it did my speed for me so I could see it - would it display my speed if I was going off the dodgy sensor?

I did that annoying thing where i turned the timer off and forgot to turn it on again and so it docked my some miles! I still did them so why does it annoy me so much??:blink:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Thanks! I didn't see your post so just turned it off and it did my speed for me so I could see it - would it display my speed if I was going off the dodgy sensor?

I did that annoying thing where i turned the timer off and forgot to turn it on again and so it docked my some miles! I still did them so why does it annoy me so much??:blink:

Let that be a lesson!!!!! I take it the 800 is rather new with you and you are still with the learning curve etc. I managed to lose miles when I first had my 705, a couple of times I forgot to save the ride, went out the next day started off and wondered why I had done a load of miles!!! Like a numpty I then remembered I should have cleared the previous days ride.
Its all good fun, I take it you like your 800, I have had my 705 for 3 years now and it still serves me very well, I have wondered about an upgrade, but wonder if I would really gain anything else.

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
And yes I do love the 800 but still haven't really exploited it to its full potential. An surprised how un-user friendly it is for something at the top of the product range - hardly intuitive! Keep promising myself to have a proper look at it all when I get time...

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Naughty Garmin still no email!

Give them a couple of days they will get back to you.
Considering what you can do with the 705 the one thing that lets the product down dreadfully is the lack of informative manual. I gained my knowledge by trial and error and things I could find on the net.
It is surprising Garmin haven't pulled their fingers out with the latest product and tried to get a decent manual for the 800. They must be aware that the customers all seem to have the same moans.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Sorry for the thread hi-jack

Yes it can but when you get the sensor, it's much more accurate. It's one unit on the chainstay

Is this really true? I would have thought that GPS would have been more accurate considering the variables with wheel and tyre size... Im sure I dont have a wheel magnet on my car when using a tomtom.

Isnt the rear wheel speed sensor mainly for when the bike is on a trainer or rollers? (or if you cant get a gps signal tue to tunnels or trees)

Im interested as I have never botherd with the rear magnet on my 705, but if its better, I will fit it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, GPS can vary by a few metres (so can affect speed), and the speed/cadence sensor automatically calibrates. It also helps if the GPS signal is interrupted, as the unit is still getting the additional readings.

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Just to revisit this - after now have the cadence sensor working but it won't pick up the speed sensor at all. Any ideas folks?

Also, I have now paired the sensor back up with my Garmin. If it doesn't pick up the speed sensor will it go back to calculating speed via GPS (which is fine for me)?

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
AAAAAAAGH the stoopid speed/cadence sensor is doing my head in!! I can't get through a ride without the speed sensor cutting out, normally on a fast descent. I end up switching it off on my bike profile, but I'd rather it worked! Does this happen to anyone else?? :cursing:

Gary E

Veteran
To me that would mean:

Lost/degaussed magnet - gap between magnet and sensor to big - faulty sensor - faulty Garmin Edge (in that order).

I've dealt with Garmin a couple of times, both times by phone.

After a bit of fault diagnosis, when my heart rate strap became erratic, they simply put another one in the post.

Did you call them or email?

Can't speak for everyone but my dealings with them have always gone well.

Top Bottom