Garmin Edge 800 speed/cadence sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Hi folks

Been having trouble with the above recently. The cadence sensor is working fine, but the speed sensor won't pick up the magnet wherever I position it.

Would it be the battery? If so, why is the cadence working fine?

Any ideas Cyclechatters?

LR :B)

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
First port of call would be to reset the detector on the chainstay, could work...

amaferanga

Veteran
Second port of call is calling Garmin's customer service. It's second to none.

Wait til you've got a device that's out of warranty. You might not say the same when you've got a device with a minor fault and they tell you that they don't fix them, but replace them with a NoH unit for a set price (about £130 for a FR310XT).

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Thanks guys, really useful. How do I reset the detector? (numpty Q I know....)

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Thanks guys, really useful. How do I reset the detector? (numpty Q I know....)

Go to the garmin learning centre, into sports section, and click on the Edge 705 and it will bring a load of training videos up.
Look for the one entitled Speed/Cadence sensor. Watch it and before you say you have an 800 model the process will be the same, you will just have to scroll through your menus.
I had a similar problem to you but with a 705, I had 3 sensors (they are the same for 705 or 800's) for my 3 bikes, basicallly one of them gave cadence but didn't show speed if I tried to use it on a turbo or just spun the cranks. It worked fine picking up from GPS when on the move.
I contacted Garmin tech support and several emails flew back and forth various suggestions etc (very good tech support by the way).
In the end you have to watch the sensor immediately after you pair it, for a few seconds and as you turn the cranks you will get red and green flashes where the reset button is on the cadence sensor.
Can't remember the sequence but one is for each pass of the crank, the other is for each pass of the magnet on the wheel.
I was only getting one of the colours can't remember which one, garmin told me it should be 2 colours, tried other 2 bikes alternative red/green flashes when re-pairing the sensors with unit.
The conclusion from Garmin was the speed detection part of the sensor was broken. They asked me for the invoice which fortunately was less than a year old, so I scanned it, emailed it to them and they sent me a replacement.........RESULT!!!!
Top marks to Garmins support department!!

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Go to the garmin learning centre, into sports section, and click on the Edge 705 and it will bring a load of training videos up.
Look for the one entitled Speed/Cadence sensor. Watch it and before you say you have an 800 model the process will be the same, you will just have to scroll through your menus.
I had a similar problem to you but with a 705, I had 3 sensors (they are the same for 705 or 800's) for my 3 bikes, basicallly one of them gave cadence but didn't show speed if I tried to use it on a turbo or just spun the cranks. It worked fine picking up from GPS when on the move.

I contacted Garmin tech support and several emails flew back and forth various suggestions etc (very good tech support by the way).
In the end you have to watch the sensor immediately after you pair it, for a few seconds and as you turn the cranks you will get red and green flashes where the reset button is on the cadence sensor.
Can't remember the sequence but one is for each pass of the crank, the other is for each pass of the magnet on the wheel.
I was only getting one of the colours can't remember which one, garmin told me it should be 2 colours, tried other 2 bikes alternative red/green flashes when re-pairing the sensors with unit.
The conclusion from Garmin was the speed detection part of the sensor was broken. They asked me for the invoice which fortunately was less than a year old, so I scanned it, emailed it to them and they sent me a replacement.........RESULT!!!!
Top marks to Garmins support department!!

Thanks 172traindriver, great tip! I have just tested it this morning and same story, cadence picking up fine but not speed. Am gonna contact Garmin technical support now. I guess it can't be abattery issue if the cadence sensor is working fine.

Incidentally, if I can't get it fixed for tomorrow's short sportive, if i take off the cadence/speed sensor the Garmin will calculate my speed from GPS anyway won't it?

Many thanks once again

LR

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Thanks 172traindriver, great tip! I have just tested it this morning and same story, cadence picking up fine but not speed. Am gonna contact Garmin technical support now. I guess it can't be abattery issue if the cadence sensor is working fine.

Incidentally, if I can't get it fixed for tomorrow's short sportive, if i take off the cadence/speed sensor the Garmin will calculate my speed from GPS anyway won't it?

Many thanks once again

LR

Leave the cadence sensor in place, it will calculate your cadence as it is supposed to, and the garmin will just take your speed from the gps positioning. Not trying to be clever, but dont forget to start the unit when you set off and stop it when you finish your ride.
When you download the ride to the garmin connect site it will all show up fine.
I rode my winter bike, which the faulty sensor was on through a winter before I finally sussed the problem via Garmin tech support.
In all honesty I could have left it, but was just being picky and got my teeth into the fact it wasn't registering when I spun the wheel like it did on the other bikes. and also nothing happened if I put it on the turbo.

PS it wont be battery as part of the sensor is working.

Top Bottom