Garmin Edge 800 speed/cadence sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I have just tested lifting back wheel and peddling, get speed and cadence. Will see if it keeps playing up, if so will get back to wiggle/ garmin

Gary E

Veteran
Press the test button on the speed/cadence sensor and then spin the crank and back wheel. A red flash on the LED (on the sensor) should happen every time the pedal magnet passes the sensor and a green flash every time the wheel magnet passes it.

blogcycle

I am having the same problem - cadence is working but speed is erratic at best. I have a Garmin Edge 800 w/Speed and Cadence Sensor. Sample data here:
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/607482853

About a month ago, the speed stopped reading accurately. At first, my speed reading cut out for a few seconds, then picked up again. Eventually it stopped working all together. After trying the following troubleshooting steps, I still have the problem:
  1. replaced the battery in the speed/cadence sensor (battery was fine, I was getting the red light flash as pedal went past censor)
  2. Adjusted space between crank arm censor and speed/cadence censor (it was rubbing a bit)
  3. Reset Garmin Edge 800 (backed up, wiped out and restored my Edge 800 this AM)
The problem persists.

Quick Questions:
  1. Does the crank arm sensor have a battery in it?
  2. If I am getting a red light, it should be functioning properly, right?
  3. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it without having to replace the hardware?

I believe I am off to Garmin Support too. May have to rely on the GPS alone for speed for a while?

blogcycle

Found this thread to be potentially helpful: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=442395

When I got a new set of wheels I had the rear wheel's magnet too far forward and the speed would cut in and out, auto pausing regularly even when I was doing 20 MPH.
I shifted the magnet so it crossed the sensor closer to the end of the arm and it's never done that since.

At the rear of the arm of the wheel pickup, there's a line etched in the plastic. Make sure the magnet's wide part is closest to the arm from that line to the end of the arm. Also make sure the arm it out enough so the magnet is only about 5mm max away from the arm of the pickup.

Another thing to do just for grins and giggles is to change out the battery in your GSC-10. You may have bought it yesterday but you have no idea how long it's sat on the shelf prior to that.

Top Bottom