Garmin Edge 800 User Guide (With Fancy Pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
A course is as described, but a workout is totally different and in no way followed in the same way as a course. Basically it is a set of steps which you create to achieve a training objective ie pedal for so long at a certain cadence/speed/heart rate, rest, repeat step 1, rest, repeat step 1 again but slightly altered etc etc, its best performed on an indoor trainer, or better still on flat roads, unless you have created a hill climbing workout. I use workouts quite a lot especially during the winter months and can be as simple or as complex as you like.

Check the manual out as it describes it better:-

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_800_OM_EN.pdf

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A course is as described, but a workout is totally different and in no way followed in the same way as a course. Basically it is a set of steps which you create to achieve a training objective ie pedal for so long at a certain cadence/speed/heart rate, rest, repeat step 1, rest, repeat step 1 again but slightly altered etc etc, its best performed on an indoor trainer, or better still on flat roads, unless you have created a hill climbing workout. I use workouts quite a lot especially during the winter months and can be as simple or as complex as you like.

Check the manual out as it describes it better:-

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_800_OM_EN.pdf
The process is the same. Create - download - follow.

zacklaws

Guru
You can create a workout and follow that (much in the same way as a course) although a majorly unused feature..

The process is the same. Create - download - follow.

Very basic answers and not even worth posting to try and assist anyone, might as well just say "turn on 800, turn off 800" instead of trying to answer a question in more detail to help a user on how to use a device.

I have a daft question. On the 810 it shows you on the main screen which bike profile is selected. Is there a similar option on the 800?

Also can I only have data field or is 3 the minimum?

Thanks

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Press the power button, the bike profile active is shown, pressing it lets you change. On the 800 though it doesn't really do anything meaningful.

You can have up to 10 fields per screen, on the 800 it's changed in "training pages" and on the 510/810/1000 under Activity Profiles - Training pages, where you can also turn pages on/off

thanks I was hoping it would show on the home screen as then I know total miles per bike.

The unit is daft as I can run 10 data fields per screen but not one.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
@T.M.H.N.E.T hoping you can help as garmin 800 guru (or indeed anyone else)

On the map screen, mine has decided to show a large area of all roads (e.g the whole of Greater London) where it previously showed a street view which looked more like an A-Z map. I'm sure I've managed to accidentally change a string, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to change back! It still gives the directions, but they are pretty meaningless when you can't see the local surrounding area!

Any thoughts, bearing in mind I'm a technical numpty!
Cheers

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Map settings - Custom - Zoom levels - User location

vickster

Legendary Member
Map settings - Custom - Zoom levels - User location
Ok now I've looked at this, I can't find map settings...is this in the overall settings or need to do by map? I'll continue to fiddle...do you mean map visibility, custom etc...? Then what...?

vickster

Legendary Member
I've made it 20ft but I'm still getting the full map. Maybe it will work better when not sat indoors, or should that make no difference! What are the default levels? At this rate I'm either going to throw it in the canal or see if a factory reset works. This gadget really pis*es me off grrr

zacklaws

Guru
It is not your zoom levels you should be looking at in the menu's. Have you tried adjusting the scale of the map with the + and - signs on the map screen. If their not visible, just tap the screen.

Top Bottom