Garmin edge 800 ... waterproof??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
No Billy you're spot on. They're really annoying.

Toby

Well IME they're rubbish in the wet! Used mine in a wet Dragon Ride last year and it died never to work again so returned for a replacement. Yesterday it crashed in mild rain, couldn't turn it off so had to wait for battery to drain. Fortunately I wasn't relying on the mapping to get me home or I'd have been stuck. I have heard that using in the rain with SD card is best avoided so will try to remember to take it out if there's a risk of it getting wet on a ride. Very poor.

Ih007

No problems in my experience. As the video above shows, the 800 can be immersed, although its not designed to be. It should be a-ok in the worst of our weather.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never had an issue with the 705 in rain. Out all day with heavy rain for about 3-4 hours with a number of other Edge users from here. No-one had issues. Possibly got a duff one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Never had an issue with the 705 in rain. Out all day with heavy rain for about 3-4 hours with a number of other Edge users from here. No-one had issues. Possibly got a duff one.

Same with the 205 and 500's.
Been out with both in prolonged, torrential rain with no problems.

zizou

Veteran
If you have had an issue with 2 units in the rain it may be due the rubber usb and card cover not being pushed in fully. It can sometimes be a pain getting it to sit right in without popping back out again (either slightly or fully) but with it in properly it should stand up to prolonged rain pretty well.

keitflyer

Just wondering if anyone has been out with a garmin edge 800 in heavy rain?
I got caught in a heavy squall the other night and put mine away in a waterproof place.

Need i have bothered?

Are they as waterproof as garmin claim??
Sorry to disagree but i bought a new edge 800 recently and was caught in a heavy shower for 30minutes or so, and i didnt put it away as there was nowhere to put it and it died completely. Nothing in the product info warns against this. When you go back to the dealer they say they are waterproof to a certain standard. Frankly i think a cycle gps needs to be pretty waterproof.

I have had an edge 800 for a month now. It leaked water into the screen on a wet 3hr ride. Garmin will not repair under warranty as it is only splashproof, even though it says waterproof on the website.
I am so disappointed in Garmin. I will be writing a letter of complaint over the next few days. It makes the device fairly useless in sunny England!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have had an edge 800 for a month now. It leaked water into the screen on a wet 3hr ride. Garmin will not repair under warranty as it is only splashproof, even though it says waterproof on the website.
I am so disappointed in Garmin. I will be writing a letter of complaint over the next few days. It makes the device fairly useless in sunny England!

I am very surprised at this.

1: Waterproofing is very good for Garmin devices
2: Garmin's reaction - that's unlike them. Where does/who said it's only splashproof.

All the Garmins I have used over the years have had very good waterproofing. And I have used them in the most foulest of wet weathers for hours (days) at a time.

These are the 2 emails I have received so far. There is a lot of water bubbles and mist under the screen. I can't believe it really

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I am happy to help you with this.

I have looked into this for you but unfortunately the unit is only
splash proof.

I am sorry if this has caused any inconvenience.

The charge for your specific unit is ?119.14 to replace, the turnaround
for this is up to 14 working days from when we receive your device.

In order to progress with this, please can you call our European Product
Support team using the telephone numbers below:

Phone (free phone from UK landline): 0808 238 0000
Phone (within UK): 0870 850 1242
Phone (outside UK): +44 870 850 1242

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Kind regards,

Katherine Wheeler

Garmin Europe

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I am happy to help you with this.

IPX7 means splash proof because of this the unit can't be replaced under
warranty.

Unfortunately if you want a refund on the product you will need to
contact the retailer you purchased it from.

If you wish to make a complaint you can contact the Consumer Support
Manager in writing who will respond with a final written response. You
can contact the Consumer Support Manger at the address below.

Customer Relations Department
Garmin Europe
PO Box 392
Southampton
SO40 0FW

Your complaint will be fully investigated and a response issued within
10 working days.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Kind regards,

Katherine Wheeler

I only got the 800 at Christmas and touch wood its been robust enough in heavy rain. My old 305 powered it self off a few times in an electrical storm 6 months back but came back good I have subsequently used it again heavier rain and had before that perhaps it was electrical interference :wacko:

Top Bottom