Garmin Edge Errors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I've recently rushed out and bought a nice new Edge 200, very nice too, except I'm starting to get some average speed anomalies. I've started to notice that the average speed indicated at the end of the ride is not reflected in the upload to Garmin Connect or Strava. For instance on Tuesday I went for a half hours bimble around my local roads. The average on the display at the end was 29 kph, but on uploading the ride it was recorded as being 26.7. Has anybody got an idea as to why this should be? I should advise that I have auto-pause enabled.

It's generally more noticeable on strava, I don't really use the garmin site much even rwgps shows slight differences as do all sites, get a copy of garmin training centre its a little basic but shows the raw data from the unit.
Strava I think truncates avg speeds opposed to rounding, but not 100% on that.

How is the system set up

There are two times on the Garmin

One is the measure of the whole journey, the other of the time actually moving (stopped at lights for instance)

This will give different average speeds

@Cunobelin @Eribiste has mentioned that the auto pause is on, besides it depends on the site, as you say there is moving avg, and overall avg, most sites will use a moving avg, if you upload a ride to strava that has no auto-pause or a file where its been stripped out (happens with some gpx exports) then strava i know will show the overall time as the moving time.
There is also a a lag between stopping and starting and the auto-pause feature to kick in, also with the 200 only working from a gps fix it can sometimes think you are moving whilst stationary (as sometimes two gps plots can be recorded as being further apart than they are), this can lead to an increment in time especially as it takes time to react and could increase the apparent moving time, however this is more usually seen as in abnormal max speeds. Even using a gps with a sp sensor (which is much more accurate) losses some speed on strava.

On my last ride I did 34.53 miles in 2:04:35.86 @ 16.6 according to the data from the 705 on GTC, the same ride the data from the R20 35.54 miles in 2:04:28 so basically 8's longer (this is ride time) @16.65mph, the 705 has the auto feature set and the R20 must take it into account, the same data from strava is 34.5 miles in 2:06:05 or 16.4mph (using the edge 705 data) so strava reckons on an extra 1min 35's or so, so it reads the data in the same tcx file differently to that of GTC, I won't even start on the elevation thing.
For the record my overall avg sp for the same ride was 15.21mph.

OP
OP
Eribiste

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I might have answered my own conundrum. For today's commute, rather than leaving the unit running, albeit paused, I saved each ride as soon as I arrived at the destinations. Doing this has resulted in ride stats on Strava that are much closer to the data indicated on the unit. One learns a little more every day.....

I might have answered my own conundrum. For today's commute, rather than leaving the unit running, albeit paused, I saved each ride as soon as I arrived at the destinations. Doing this has resulted in ride stats on Strava that are much closer to the data indicated on the unit. One learns a little more every day.....
This is always what strava is close.
It also doesn't explain what happened on my last ride though, as I usually just record each ride.

Top Bottom