Garmin Edge to Ipad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Lone Rider

Need some tech advice please. I have a Garmin edge, no bluetooth however, I am looking to transfer data to my ipad while away. Can I use 'Airtash' to put my sd card into to upload onto my ipad then load onto the Strava app.
Hope you can understand what I am trying to do?

OP
OP
The Lone Rider

The Lone Rider

Your best bet is a Lightning to SD Card reader. I have one for uploading photos from SD cards and it's 'plug and play' simple. Maplin stock them if you have one nearby.

Thanks for this option, Will this let me download the file to the strava app on my ipad?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Is the way to go to load the Garmin Data onto the Garmin server, then sync with Strava? I am not a Strava user, so, have not actually done this, but, Garmin syncs with Runkeeper, seamlessly and, I am sure there are other "Fitness Apps" available to Sync to. Since Strava is a well know application, I would have thought it was in the list of possible "syncing candidates".

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't see a way to add an activity from file in Garmin Connect or the Strava App via my iPad, but if I use the Strava web version in Safari on my iPad I can select a file to upload. So @User is correct an SD reader would do it.

Edit - that does depend on if you have an Edge with SD card - which I assume because it does not have Bluetooth it does.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I don't see a way to add an activity from file in Garmin Connect or the Strava App via my iPad, but if I use the Strava web version in Safari on my iPad I can select a file to upload. So @User is correct an SD reader would do it.

I am sure @User is correct, an SD Card reader would give you the required connectivity.

I was only suggesting a possible alternative, because it may save you having to acquire and carry about an additional item.

I am away from home at the moment, so, cannot check how I did it, and the memory cells are dying off sadly, but, basically, what I do is to sync my Garmin to the Garmin Server, using Garmin Connect. I have set up my Garmin Connect account to then sync to my Fitness App (Runkeeper in my case). I normally do this using an Apple Macbook Pro, but, I would assume it would work on an iPad.

Isn't technology wonderful(?) ;)

As a slight diversion. My 8 year old grandson was telling me about a website to teach children coding. Basically, the conversation was a big hint, for me to give him one of my "spare" laptops. Needless to say, I "bit" and handed over the laptop. I accompanied this "gift" with a challenge, that we would compare notes in two weeks, and see who had achieved the most (ie me, or him). We are now two days into the challenge, and, I fear, I have made a BIG mistake !

Last edited:
U

User33236

Whilst the SD card reader will allow file transfers to an iPad my understanding is that Apple have restricted this to photos and video files so *.fit files will likely not work.

Unfortunately I can’t locate my reader at the moment to confirm either way.

My Garmin Edge automagically synced via smartphone to Garmin Connect, then I could view data on the Strava app without any physical connection between the two as Connect transfers data to Strava online. If your edge doesn't have bluetooth, you're stuffed, and stuck with uploading .fit files via PC.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am sure @User is correct, an SD Card reader would give you the required connectivity.

I was only suggesting a possible alternative, because it may save you having to acquire and carry about an additional item.

I am away from home at the moment, so, cannot check how I did it, and the memory cells are dying off sadly, but, basically, what I do is to sync my Garmin to the Garmin Server, using Garmin Connect. I have set up my Garmin Connect account to then sync to my Fitness App (Runkeeper in my case). I normally do this using an Apple Macbook Pro, but, I would assume it would work on an iPad.

How would you get the file onto garmin connect without Bluetooth?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
How would you get the file onto garmin connect without Bluetooth?

I plug my Garmin into my MacBook, using a USB lead, and the Garmin software Syncs the activities, first to Garmin, then it updates RunKeeper.

If using an iPad (which does not have a conventional USB port), I assume you would need a lead with Apple Connector on one end and USB on the other. Although I do not have such a lead, I am sure the source of all leads (eBay or Aliexpress) will have such a beast.

I am right on the edge of my technical knowledge, on this subject, now, I may have even fallen off! ;)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks everyone for your help. I have ordered a lead that plugs into the iPad and connects to the garmin, I will keep you all updated

Looking into it further, I don’t think the cable will work, as it will only mount as a camera. I think your original AirStash could be the next thing to try. Amazon have a warehouse deal at only £16, plus you will have free returns if it is not suitable.

U

User33236

Curious as to how you get the data from the Garmin onto the Airsrash whilst away?

Top Bottom