Garmin Edge Touring - failed map update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ActiveCampers

Has anyone got the 2017.10 cycle maps onto the Garmin Edge Touring (plus)?

Mine had a firmware update, but trying to update the maps it says there isn't enough space in internal memory. The device of course only uses a micro SD card, and there should be enough space. I've put in a new blank 16Gb one and get the same message (yes, formatted correct and Garmin folder auto created, so card is fine).

Previous updates worked ok.

Just wondering if its a bug or I need to do anything?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
For some reason I had to use my other pc, GE wouldn't pick up the SD card in my Edge1000

OP
OP
A

ActiveCampers

Have to admit, I've not tried another PC!
I do have others here, so will give that a go.

(My laptop is running the latest w10 creators update, the other isn't)

OP
OP
A

ActiveCampers

And we have a winner - thanks!
Different laptop and this time GR gave a message about "you have an SD card" which my first PC didn't.
So downloading all 7.2Gb now.

Thanks

Phill T

Has anyone got the 2017.10 cycle maps onto the Garmin Edge Touring (plus)?

Mine had a firmware update, but trying to update the maps it says there isn't enough space in internal memory. The device of course only uses a micro SD card, and there should be enough space. I've put in a new blank 16Gb one and get the same message (yes, formatted correct and Garmin folder auto created, so card is fine).

Previous updates worked ok.

Just wondering if its a bug or I need to do anything?

I have been having the same problem. I have followed all the instructions given by the Garmin 'Help' people to no avail. In fact I am now worse off as my device has lost all its detailed maps. Only main trunk roads are shown on my device. The device is starting to look like a waste of money. I have inserted a new SD card of 32gb formatted etc.

AlanW

Guru
I have been having the same problem. I have followed all the instructions given by the Garmin 'Help' people to no avail. In fact I am now worse off as my device has lost all its detailed maps. Only main trunk roads are shown on my device. The device is starting to look like a waste of money. I have inserted a new SD card of 32gb formatted etc.

Did you ever resolve this issue in the end as I am now faced with the exact same problem. The map update says the the current SD card (8GB) is not larg enough for the map date, so I've just ordered a 32GB one.
So before I get more involved and risk losing data, given recent experiences!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Did you ever resolve this issue in the end as I am now faced with the exact same problem. The map update says the the current SD card (8GB) is not larg enough for the map date, so I've just ordered a 32GB one.

Had the same problems. Larger memory card solved it.

OP
OP
A

ActiveCampers

In my case, I used a fresh install on a different computer and it was fine.....

AlanW

Guru
Well, that couldn't have gone any easier to be honest! Removed 8GB Micro SD card, inserted new 32GB Micro SD, plugged into PC and away she went. Hey presto 2 hours 22 minutes later and all done and loaded. Switched on the device just to double check everything and yep all good to go, happy days.

But slightly confused, because I then went back into Garmin Express later on to load the days ride and it was showing an update for the Touring Edge again? So curiosity getting the better of me I plugged the unit back into the PC again to see what would happen. Just over 2 hours it finished updating again....really?

Anyway, I've used the device this morning and all is good :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
But slightly confused, because I then went back into Garmin Express later on to load the days ride and it was showing an update for the Touring Edge again? So curiosity getting the better of me I plugged the unit back into the PC again to see what would happen. Just over 2 hours it finished updating again....really?

And it will keep notifying you of an update. Before you go ahead, check the details and if it offers you map version 2017.10 just ignore it as that's the current spec and has been like that for most of the past 12 months.

Edited to add: Aren't 8gb cards actually something like 7.2gb of useable space so with the map update being just over 7.2gb hence the need for a bigger card?

Last edited:
Top Bottom