Garmin Edge Touring maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have not used it for nearly a year. I plugged it last night to upload a route. I was told to update maps and I did it. It took nearly 4 hours to do that as well.
Now the entire Europe map has disappeared leaving just a basemap.
I asked Google and many have had this issue. There have been some discussions here as well on the subject.

What can I do? Any quick solution because I need to upload maps before the next tour in a few days.
Thanks for your help...

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Give them a call very helpful
Garmin (Europe) Ltd
Liberty House
Hounsdown Business Park
Southampton
Hampshire
SO40 9LR
United Kingdom
Tel 023 8052 4000

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Also take your smart phone if you have one as a back up if you can’t solve the issue. Paper Maps a given. Where are you touring?

I had this on and off with my Edge touring for 3 years. I now use a Wahoo Elemnt and it was utterly faultless on my recent 2 week mini tour in the NL. I used it in combination with Kamoot which was a doddle for a non-I.T. oik like myself.

OP
OP
midliferider
It is 16gb card.
I use an old Dakota 20. It is brilliant. I can map a route in Google and upload. It takes OS maps etc. Never failed in my tours except in Finland in the winter when nothing works at minus 30.
Touring edge was given to me by my son as an upgrade.
I really don't like it.
I will stick to my old Dakota.

Thanks for the number. I will give them a ring.
I am doing the Camino north route from Bilbao

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What size card do you have installed? The new 2018.10 map is over 8gb in size and you will need a 16gb card to get it to work.

This ^^
Did the same, updated it, found the memory card wasn't big enough. Bought a cheapo larger size memory card and all the maps fit on it.

OP
OP
midliferider
I have put 32 GB card. Followed all what they said in their help pages. It was plugged in for 4 hours. It said all completed but no maps. It is just the base map.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have put 32 GB card. Followed all what they said in their help pages. It was plugged in for 4 hours. It said all completed but no maps. It is just the base map.
That's a bugger, I bought mine in 2015 and later learnt that Garmin were having troubles with the updates so I've never bothered, in my area there area a few missing roundabout and two estates missing, but I can live with that as I'm no longer touring these days, just hope Garmin can sort it out for you, good luck.

OP
OP
midliferider
For the benefit of anyone reading this post, I am pleased to say that I resolved the issue with help of Google.
I found that this is an extremely common problem with Garmin new map updates. General suggestion was to give up Garmin maps all together and install routable cycling open street maps.
Process is very simple and takes only few minutes.
There are websites with clear and concise instructions even for those who are not very IT literate.

I downloaded the OS maps in to the SD card. It is absolutely fine, infact look better than Garmin maps with more details etc.

D

Deleted member 26715

There are websites with clear and concise instructions even for those who are not very IT literate.
That's good to know, my Garmin 800 is currently still fine, do you have a link to the site you used?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For the benefit of anyone reading this post, I am pleased to say that I resolved the issue with help of Google.
I found that this is an extremely common problem with Garmin new map updates. General suggestion was to give up Garmin maps all together and install routable cycling open street maps.
Process is very simple and takes only few minutes.

I downloaded the OS maps in to the SD card. It is absolutely fine, infact look better than Garmin maps with more details etc.

Doh,
That has reminded me. That's exactly what I did.

OP
OP
midliferider
That's good to know, my Garmin 800 is currently still fine, do you have a link to the site you used?

Here is the link

https://www.cyclingabout.com/free-maps-on-your-garmin-gps/

I went for a ride this evening using the new maps in a previously saved route. It is an absolute delight. Maps have good colours and details including bike paths. It re routed when I deviated from the mapped route. In my view, it is better than the Garmin map.

Domus

Guru
Had trouble with mine last week, turns out my SD card is only 8 Gig.
16 Gig en route from Amazon so will try that route first. No pun intended. :wacko:

OP
OP
midliferider
Had trouble with mine last week, turns out my SD card is only 8 Gig.
16 Gig en route from Amazon so will try that route first. No pun intended. :wacko:

My card is 16GB but it still did not work.

Could you please come and tell us how you get on once you get your 16GB card and try it.

Top Bottom