Garmin novice - maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Have had a trawl around here looking for info on maps for the Edge 800 but am still confoozed! :wacko:

Probably being thick, but what is the deal with the maps? Are the ones that come with my Edge (which I have had for 1 day :biggrin:) no good? Do I have to buy / download decent ones? Is this easy to do?

Should add that the reason I don't know this is that it was a pressie - I am not yet even sure how to tell if maps have been included. It is the performance bundle I think with HRM, speed, cadence.

Thanks dudes

The guru for all things Garmin Edge is Me Frank Kinlan and his superb site.

Now back to the question....

The basic map is virtually useless and only has main roads.

The City Navigator can be purchased as can the Ordnance Survey.

However the cheap option is the Open Street Map series.

The basics show roads and the likes in as much detail as the Garmin City Navigator so long as you are not going anywhere too remote. THe one I prefer is the OSM Cycle map as it also shows cycle routes and Paths

picture-2.png

I like Ordnance Survey so I use this along with the OSM Cycle maps, but it is really personal choice as all three offer post code finding, routing etc. and the turn instructions are the same:

cf-lg.jpg

Now back to your question........

You will not be able to do much with the present map, I would suggest loading the OSM Cyvle map as it is free and then if it suits your needs you are sorted, if this is insufficient and you want trails and off road areas then buy the OS maps, and if you are mainly road based consider buying the City Navigator NT.

Changing between maps is easy and you can normally fit the Garmin map and one OSM map on a card.

To change between OS and NT simply change the card

Once the card is in the map selection is menu driven

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
What a brilliant response cunobelin, thanks!

It has popped another couple of Qs into my newbie brain though:

1) Do I need to buy an SD card then?
2) How do I download OSM cycle map?
3) Will it still track me OK and show it up on Garmin connect if I don't have a good map installed??

Iaing

Looks like I need to download a map from here and then stick it on an SD card, correct?

This is the place to go for fine maps - not cycle specific. No need for an SD card, just follow the instructions and download to your PC and then to the Garmin. Well worth ploughing through the site first.

Iain

Top Bottom