Garmin or Elemnt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelO

Veteran
Switched from Garmin to Elemnt Bolt over a year ago - would never go back. The biggest issue with Garmin (mid ride crashes) is a thing of the past! I now have a GPS unit I can trust and which has a far superior battery life.

rb58

Enigma
Thanks Vickster. Thats another thing, the mounts. I have 6 mounts on different bikes. having to change the one mount from bike to bike would be a pain so that would mean buying more. Don't like the idea of cutting the unit to fit the mount.
Hmm decisions, decisions.
I didn’t need to buy any additional mounts. The out front Garmin ones I had were the sort where the fitting can be rotated 90 degrees, so the Wahoo went straight in. Only on a couple did I have to ‘adjust’ the mount for the Elemnt to fit. And that was less than a 1mm trim and took about 10 seconds.

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn’t need to buy any additional mounts. The out front Garmin ones I had were the sort where the fitting can be rotated 90 degrees, so the Wahoo went straight in. Only on a couple did I have to ‘adjust’ the mount for the Elemnt to fit. And that was less than a 1mm trim and took about 10 seconds.
Yes it’s not difficult but it does have to be done. @jayonabike says his mounts are metal though?

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Apart from this lifeline one where the middle can be rotated
image.jpg

They are all k-edge machined out front mounts
image.jpg

image.jpg

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
@r04DiE hasn't been on here for a while (probably recovering from LWL) but he recently lost his Wahoo onto the road where it got run over. Not sure if it was a mount problem.
Hi there,

No, that was a me problem - I have never had a problem with the Wahoo mount at all. :okay:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Wahoo for me, had the garmin 800 for a few years, then rode with someone who had the wahoo, i bought one a week later, was a bit fiddly to start with, but i soon got to grips with it, using ride with gps is best for mapping, the phone app is really good, so easy to find where you want to go. i still have the garmin and will keep it for a backup, But the Wahoo is well in front of the Garmin.
The Garmin 1000 is also good, my other half uses one, apart from a couple of glitches,( could have been operator problems,) it does work well.

My Garmin is currently on Ebay, IMO the wahoo elemnt is a totally superior product, it just works as it should, easy to use & totally reliable.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/222994609187

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’m thinking hard about the Elemnt. Three questions:

1. The Elemnt is the top of the range unit with the largest screen? I know it’s a basic question but so many sites are intent on selling benefits rather than accurate description.

2. I’m having difficulty establishing how the turn by turn shows onscreen. Different reviews seem to suggest different things.

What I want/would like is a view which shows, as the Garmin 810 does, road name, countdown on distance to turn and large arrow indicating direction.

3. Most of my navigation is with club groups. I’ve read turns are not indicated until right on top of a junction. Having to make last minute decisions on a turn with 8-10 riders behind sounds tricky.

Is it correct the turn is indicated when very close to the turn point?

Personally I find my current** Garmin 810 navigates very well. The issue is appalling battery life - 5.5 hours at most and is my only reason to consider change.

** yes I’ve had a really bad one as well which Garmin replaced!!

Milzy

Guru

1. The Elemnt is the top of the range unit with the largest screen? I know it’s a basic question but so many sites are intent on selling benefits rather than accurate description.

2. I’m having difficulty establishing how the turn by turn shows onscreen. Different reviews seem to suggest different things.

What I want/would like is a view which shows, as the Garmin 810 does, road name, countdown on distance to turn and large arrow indicating direction.

3. Most of my navigation is with club groups. I’ve read turns are not indicated until right on top of a junction. Having to make last minute decisions on a turn with 8-10 riders behind sounds tricky.

Personally I find my current** Garmin 810 navigates very well. The issue is appalling battery life - 5.5 hours at most and is my only reason to consider change.

5.5 hours LOL. I’ve had navigation on my wahoo for 8.5 hours and still had 48% life.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

What is the question?

If you have loaded a TCX file, you get exactly the above.

You can set this up to your preference. I think default is 30m

About 12 hours is my best.

My bold. HTH

vickster

Legendary Member
If you like the garmin but not the battery life, get a large capacity battery pack, a tri bag and run a charging cable between when required

Top Bottom