Garmin or Elemnt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Heltor Chasca thanks this is very helpful. My first was question possibly wasn't very clear. As I understand it there is the Elemnt, Elemnt Bolt and Elemnt mini.

Mostly people only refer to the Elemnt. I presume this is the top of the range one and has the largest screen of the three models? I'm I correct?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you like the garmin but not the battery life, get a large capacity battery pack, a tri bag and run a charging cable between when required

Yes. I've considered this. My problem is I hate clutter on my bike. I know it's a bit nerdy but I don't really want a tri bag on my road bike which is when I use the Garmin most. I am planning to have another search for a nice slim, discreet one before I make my decision as it's a much cheaper solution.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
@Heltor Chasca thanks this is very helpful. My first was question possibly wasn't very clear. As I understand it there is the Elemnt, Elemnt Bolt and Elemnt mini.

Mostly people only refer to the Elemnt. I presume this is the top of the range one and has the largest screen of the three models? I'm I correct?

That’s right. Identical in every other way though. The Bolt is more aero too. With the Elmnt: You just have more room to add data screens if you are that way inclined. In my case I just wanted to see more of the map for Audax and touring. And when I am knackered, riding at night, I can just it see more easily.

EDIT: The Mini isn’t gps enabled and relies on extraneous sensors. If you want mapping you have to pair your phone. More devices to worry about battery life in my mind. KISS principles at stake.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Any suggestions on why a brand new out of box Elemnt will not pair with an iPhone 5S? Scanning the bar code does nothing. I really hate products that don't work when they arrive.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Any suggestions on why a brand new out of box Elemnt will not pair with an iPhone 5S? Scanning the bar code does nothing. I really hate products that don't work when they arrive.
I found I had to restart my phone but no problem since...(with the app opened again..)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So this will sound like a rant but this is my experience over 2.5 hours with the Wahoo Elemnt.

Well first impressions of the Elemnt are frankly very poor. It's very clunky, buttons are very stiff to press, the Quick Start guide is wholly inadequate - it consists of four images!! I can't find any manuals on the web. Nothing can be accessed in the app until the unit is connected so any Help features in the app aren't available to me as I can't connect. There is no apparent way to connect other than Bluetooth so if this fails your stuck. Taking this back for a refund. £250 of technology in this day and age should work out of the box - this doesn't. I can't recommend it. Rubbish product.

A great example of why Apple products are so good - they simply work from the moment one switches on.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
So this will sound like a rant but this is my experience over 2.5 hours with the Wahoo Elemnt.

Well first impressions of the Elemnt are frankly very poor. It's very clunky, buttons are very stiff to press, the Quick Start guide is wholly inadequate - it consists of four images!! I can't find any manuals on the web. Nothing can be accessed in the app until the unit is connected so any Help features in the app aren't available to me as I can't connect. There is no apparent way to connect other than Bluetooth so if this fails your stuck. Taking this back for a refund. £250 of technology in this day and age should work out of the box - this doesn't. I can't recommend it. Rubbish product.

A great example of why Apple products are so good - they simply work from the moment one switches on.

I think you need to give it a fair crack. Contact the help desk and start again. I think you either have Bluetooth or WiFi interference/issues. That barcode scan should work in moments. I am sorry you are struggling.

Milzy

Guru

I just can’t believe this post. I suppose some people hate apple. It’s the most easy interface ever. I can agree about the buttons been stiff but it’s so robust and they will break in after use.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I just can’t believe this post. I suppose some people hate apple. It’s the most easy interface ever. I can agree about the buttons been stiff but it’s so robust and they will break in after use.

I didn't say I hate Apple - I said their products are GOOD because they always, in my experience, work straight from the box. I'm not an Apple groupie, I have an iPhone that's all.

Now the Wahoo I have purchased doesn't work as described. The key to using a Wahoo is to download the app, use this to scan the bar code on the Wahoo and make the connection. The big issue here is that if one can't make a connection via Bluetooth then there is no alternative. I've spent the evening reading various bits of advice, trawled through the rather poor Help pages provided by Wahoo, searched for the non-existent manual - surely there should be a manual?? Deleted all the existing Bluetooth connections on my iPhone, switched off, switched on again, etc. done a factory reset on the Wahoo, downloaded three different QR readers in case this is the problem.

It boils down to this. Wahoo is selling an expensive product, which I fully understand many people find excellent, but when issues arise the company falls a long way short of the standard I would expect for a product of this value. If there is only a single connection method and that connection method fails there is absolutely nothing one can do to resolve the problem. A quality company would provide online support for this type of issue, what Wahoo offers is woeful.

For me this is a fundamentally flawed product in that it only makes the initial connection via Bluetooth. If a cable alternative was provided my issue would probably have been solved inside ten minutes.

Top Bottom