Garmin Oregon Mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have just got an Oregon to replace my much loved, but failing 60CSx. It's a general purpose outdoor GPS, not a bike-specific one. I'm generally happy with it and may post a review here sometime.

Anyway, this is about the mount. ( this ) It's rubbish. It's secured by cable ties, not a screw thread which means you can't get it properly tight. It's not very good on my fat modern stem, and it's totally pants on an old style GB quill stem.

I've looked on the web for an alternative, to no avail. Does anyone know if any other manufacturer supplies such a thing? Or has anyone fettled an alternative?

MisterStan

Label Required
Would a bit of old inner tube between the mount and the bars help? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Would a bit of old inner tube between the mount and the bars help? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks. You may be right. On my bike with a quill stem I've just applied copious quantities of Duck Tape to stop it slithering. You're right that I maybe should have bedded it down on something like old inner tube, but now it's on I'd need to cut the cable ties and get some new ones (they're much bigger than normal cable ties). And even then, it's still secured with cable ties. I'm surprised they even bothered with this. They may have well just supplied a big lump of blu-tack.

What were they thinking designing it like this? It's utter cack. Haven't they seen those really handy brackets that Cateye lights have that are much better?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The edge is the model they aim at cyclists, so I suppose less thought went into the oregon/etrex mount.

There are a couple other options out there based on the older etrex mount mechainsm IIRC (can't access ebay from this connection). To be honest I quite like the cable-tied version as it's simple to fit.

An improvement is to put a small piece of duct tape over the cable ties under the bars/stem which stops the mount sliding around.

I set mine up with the locking end of the tie against the body one on either side of the mount, so it also stops the stem mounted one from slipping.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'd be tempted to get hold of a removable bracket ( The ones for the Hope Vision 1 lights are really sturdy ) and screw your existing mounting plate onto the bracket. Instant removable/adjustable mount..

zacklaws

Guru
Its the same mount as what is used for a Garmin Dakota 20 and one or two other Garmins. I have one myself and it does fit securely without anything between stem or bars and does not move and is tight. To go with it I bought some quick release reusable zip ties off Ebay so that I can quickley change between this mount and my Edge mount. Its just a case of getting some zip ties, reusable quick release which will go around your stem.

I've also just remembered in the past hour, that their is also a mount specifically made for motorcycles which clamps to the bars, but to me they look a bit flimsy and may not be up to constantly using the touchscreen as they have a ball mount which could move if you press on the screen too hard or get jolted by a bump whilst doing so. They have them on Ebay, just search for garmin Oregon mount. There is also a similar mount for use on car windscreens which I use too

Last edited:

DaveP60

The threads about a week old but Christmas is coming, possibly bringing a shower of new GPS units, so I thought it might be useful to suggest these guys:
http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/gps-handheld-garmin-c-360_169_659.html
The product range is impressive. Find the bit that holds your device then follow links to choose the bit that attaches to your bike, plane, boat...
I have a GPSmap62 The cradle held it very securely and clicked in and out of the bit cable tied to my bars. Cable ties. I know. But they didn't slip during my Jogle, and there are other options if you insist.

Top Bottom