Garmin premium vs standard HR.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
The standard strap is fine and I've had no problems with it at all. Seemingly the Premium one breaks down a lot.

TBH I don't use the HRM very much at all now as I don't train to HR zones, I just ride :smile:

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
The standard strap is fine and I've had no problems with it at all. Seemingly the Premium one breaks down a lot.

TBH I don't use the HRM very much at all now as I don't train to HR zones, I just ride :smile:

Thanks for your input.

I've read that the premium wasn't as reliable also, if it wasn't for having the turbo trainer I don't think i'd be to fused either at the moment. If I'm gonna sit on the bike in the garage over the winter I may as well do it as effectively as possible I suppose!

I don't have a computer yet either and in the grand scheme of it, paying over a £100 for a Garmin 500 it seems justifiable to spend another £50 - £60 to get speed/cadence and HRM to finish it off.

Looks like the standard belt may be the option.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I have had the premium HR belt for around 8months. Never had a problem and the readings are accurate( I have an advanced blood pressure machine at with HR. And the figures do match up).
Sorry I haven't tried the standard one so can't comment.

The standard is stiffer and can be less comfortable than the material of the premium.

The standard can be wiped clean, whereas the actual transmitter of the premium can be removed and the strap washed.

The insert and turn buckle for the standard is more robust and easier to use than the clip of the premium

I have used both and to be honest there is no difference in reality that would make me pay the extra

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There are several generations of the premium/soft strap version, I have had problems with the previous generation, Garmin replaced it with the latest generation, I am now on my 3rd unit of the latest generation (all within 18 months), following failure. All replaced free of charge. I am not just unlucky, it is a common issue and Garmin's attitude toward it shows how common it is, call them and tell them it doesn't work any more, they ask your address and say, new one in the post! No questions asked.

Prior to this, I used the standard old hard strap version, for 3 years without any issues, but it is less comfortable and it is more sensitive to getting a good contact, as in if put on dry, when you start riding it might throw some dodgy readings until you start to sweat a bit, the premium strap pretty much never has this "problem".

Last edited:

RWright

Guru
I bought a premium and had trouble with it and asked the people at Garmin to send me the older standard model as replacement, which they did. I haven't had any issues with it yet. I don't use it regularly though. If I were doing it again I would look carefully at some of the wrist models that are out now and give them consideration.

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I bought a premium and had trouble with it and asked the people at Garmin to send me the older standard model as replacement, which they did. I haven't had any issues with it yet. I don't use it regularly though.

I think this is key, I am sure plenty of people will be lurking thinking they haven't had an issue with the premium strap and that those of us who do are unlucky, however the reality is, it does have issues, it does fail, if your's hasn't failed it is because you are not using it as regularly as it is intended to be used* or you are lucky :tongue:

*A heart rate strap is meant to be used regularly, lets face it, they are primarily designed for the serious athlete, so 5-6 days a week of riding/training for several hours at a time.

Last edited:

BSRU

A Human Being
I had two premium straps go faulty and in the end just bought the Polar strap, cheaper and far superior.

User269

I found the battery went flat quite quickly with the premium, and then the tiny screws to open the compartment had seized with sweat and dirt, and I never did get it open. I went back to the standard some years back, and it's still going strong following a number of easy battery changes.

User269

Just had a quick look and it appears that the Polar HRM will not work with a Garmin HU...

Is this definitely true?
Unless Polar make an ANT+ compatible strap, yes;
There are 2 kinds of heartrate belts (90% of the market), Analogue / Digital Coded and ANT+. I believe Garmin needs an ANT+ strap.
My Tacx computer trainer needs an Analogue/digital coded strap, (for which I have a Polar), and this will definitely not work with my Edge 810.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Unless Polar make an ANT+ compatible strap, yes;
There are 2 kinds of heartrate belts (90% of the market), Analogue / Digital Coded and ANT+. I believe Garmin needs an ANT+ strap.
My Tacx computer trainer needs an Analogue/digital coded strap, (for which I have a Polar), and this will definitely not work with my Edge 810.

Thanks for that, absolutely no point in looking any further down that road then.

Top Bottom