Garmin screen repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
My Garmin 810 has died. The display comes on OK, but there’s no response at all from the touchscreen.

It’s had a scrape on the screen for ages; didn’t cause me any problems until now, I just put a sticky screen protector over it and all was fine. But, following a rainy trip last weekend, the screen doesn’t work, and there’s a sort of bubble under the scrape...

There are some replacement screens on eBay ranging from £26 to about 80. Looks straightforward to change over, if a bit fiddly - I’ve done an iPhone screen before, so I’d hope a Garmin would be easier...

Has anyone tried this?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Phone Garmin to see what they charge

Garmin (Europe) Ltd
Liberty House
Hounsdown Business Park
Southampton
Hampshire
SO40 9LR
United Kingdom
023 8052 4000

fixedfixer

Veteran
I replaced the screen on a Garmin Dakota 20 GPS. Bought the new one from China - sort of worked for a while but was basically rubbish in comparison to he genuine Garmin article. In the end I sent it back to Garmin service and their replacement has worked fine over the last two years. (was fun taking it apart and satisfying to get it working - frustrating the cheap screen was rubbish).

Yep, avoid the cheap knock off screens. Similar experience with replacing these on my phone, they all work ok for a while, but inevitably they are made of cheap components and don't work as well, or are susceptible to shattering, failing in rain etc.

If garmin will fix it for less than the price of a used replacement off ebay, that's your best bet, otherwise, just get a good one off the bay.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Yep, avoid the cheap knock off screens. Similar experience with replacing these on my phone, they all work ok for a while, but inevitably they are made of cheap components and don't work as well, or are susceptible to shattering, failing in rain etc.

If garmin will fix it for less than the price of a used replacement off ebay, that's your best bet, otherwise, just get a good one off the bay.

Can't agree more. The Garmin service Centre is very efficient to deal with too. :okay:

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
A quick update. I took the front off, reseated the connector between the screen and main board. No difference - there appears to be damage to the screen, and water has got in between the layers.

Checked online with Garmin - 82 pounds and they’ll repair/replace. That seems like the best option.

However, I stuck the thing in the airing cupboard overnight, on top of the tank, and today it’s working fine! I guess it’ll be OK until next time it rains....

andrew_s

Legendary Member
My understanding is that Garmin send you a refurbished GPS, and then either refurb yours and put it on the shelf for someone else, or strip it for parts.

If you do send it off, make sure you don't leave a card in it, and take a note of what your settings are.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
Just to close this one off - I contacted Garmin, and exchanged numbers - they gave me a returns number, I gave them a credit card one....

Sent the old unit off to them. Less than a week later, a replacement arrived via UPS. Total cost £82

It says it’s “refurbished”, but it appears to be new.

Just to close this one off - I contacted Garmin, and exchanged numbers - they gave me a returns number, I gave them a credit card one....

Sent the old unit off to them. Less than a week later, a replacement arrived via UPS. Total cost £82

It says it’s “refurbished”, but it appears to be new.
Very likely new casing but refurbished innards.

Top Bottom