Garmin Touring issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redste

I had a bit of an issue with my Garmin Touring today. It switched itself off after about 3 hours, battery was on 55%.
When I got home and connected it to Garmin Express and it said error syncing and today's' ride is showing as invalid file. The ride also hasn't transferred to Strava.
Any ideas? I've only had it about 5 months.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Ring the call centre in S'hampton. Very helpful and used to Garmin's 'ways'. Mine had a corrupt file which they sorted over the phone. I'm no IT whizz and it was easy enough.

That said the trip pages reverts to factory default every time there is a major software update.

For now my Touring is the best of a bad bunch. When someone calls mes up with an affordable alternative I'll jump satellite.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sounds like a corrupted fit file. I don't think you'll be able to salvage it.

Go into the folders of your device. Look in the activities folder. Transfer the fit file of your ride to your computer then upload to Strava manually. See if that works.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I had a bit of an issue with my Garmin Touring today. It switched itself off after about 3 hours, battery was on 55%.
When I got home and connected it to Garmin Express and it said error syncing and today's' ride is showing as invalid file. The ride also hasn't transferred to Strava.
Any ideas? I've only had it about 5 months.
Yep. The ride didn't happen...

Not the rarest of events on Edge type devices. Even had it happen twice in five years on a Fenix.

delb0y

Legendary Member
This morning mine threw a wobbly and started telling me I was headed in the wrong direction when I clearly wasn't. I have a feeling I went over a bump and somehow the thing started to follow a different course to the one I was on.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I presume you switched it back on immediately? If you look in the folders of the device you may find some files with .tmp rename to .fit and use the online fit file fix tool to see if any data can be recovered.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious with my Garmin Touring. It works faultlessly for two or three hours / 30 - 35 miles and then consistently just stops offering turn by turn alerts. I used to think, but I couldn't be sure, that these moments coincided with me being deep in the hills or woods and I've always assumed it has somehow lost contact with a satellite and that's it. Once or twice it's popped backed into "turn by turn" life an hour or two later (once or twice it hasn't). But now I'm wondering if maybe it's me. I have a vague recollection of some units being limited to x amount of waypoints. I just create a route on RwGPS and load it into the Garmin as a .GPX. Should I be checking that I'm not exceeding 500 waypoints?

Top Bottom