Garmin Varia 2 Bike Light & Radar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ta, but cripes.
Will forget it for the forseeable future, rely on ears, eyes, mirror.

Johnno260

Veteran
my cycling is 90% rural, and I'm tempted by one of these.

I mean it would never replace eyes and ears, but I'm seeing more electric cars and with wind noise these are hard to hear, I have an understanding with a Tesla driver I see frequently I spoke with him at the traffic lights and he gives 2 small toots to warn me of his presence.

Is the general concensus being it's worth the cash? my head unit is on the compatible list.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
my cycling is 90% rural, and I'm tempted by one of these.

I mean it would never replace eyes and ears, but I'm seeing more electric cars and with wind noise these are hard to hear, I have an understanding with a Tesla driver I see frequently I spoke with him at the traffic lights and he gives 2 small toots to warn me of his presence.

Is the general concensus being it's worth the cash? my head unit is on the compatible list.

Just recently had this conversation. Lots of cars are almost silent unless the tyres are noisy or they have a roof rack. Maybe tell your Tesla mate to toot after passing you. Or better not at all. Surely if you flinch he’ll flatten you?

Still if he has a personal rapport with you he will feel worse if he runs you over than if you were just the usual 2 wheeled roadkill target.

AlanW

Guru
Ive been using mine for about six months on my daily commute, together with the Garmin UT800 front light. A truly great light/commuting combination and would recommend either of them. That said, there are things that you need to be mindful of with the radar/light.

It is fool proof and certainly doesn't take away the need to do a quick sanity check over your shoulder before turning. If a vehicle has been behind you for a few minutes, then the "icon" will disappear from your screen and only appear again the when car is level with you as it overtakes. Cars coming out of side roads or islands will not always show either, as the unit needs a decent distance for the beam to detect a moving vehicle.

Another thing I noticed last week when I used the radar/light for a ride out rather than my usual 1.5 hour round trip commute, it certainly gives the battery a hammering in the GPS unit, in my case a Edge 500. My ride was around 3.5 hours and 60 miles, and it took the battery level in the GPS from being 100% charged down to less than 10%. Normally I can do a 100 mile ride and still have more battery percentage left than that?

I also dont particularly like the Garmin Universal OE mount for the seat post that is included in the box either, its very easy to catch with your legs and knock the unit out of the best alignment. Would certainly recommend getting the much better Garmin, specific seat post mount, its a proper Nylon hinged bracket and holds the unit a whole lot more secure. But the downside, its another £14 odd quid to factor in to the overall cost.

But minor niggles, I still miss it when I go out and dont have it fitted to the bike, and recommend it to you if you commute, but maybe not as an everyday device though?

AlanW

Guru
Oh, I should also add, if your commute is mainly main roads, or a lot of traffic then it would be bleeping all the time and would probably verge on the point of becoming a nuisance and a distraction. Notwithstanding the fact, even more drain on the GPS battery.

AlanW

Guru
I am going to give one a go this weekend on a 200km ride. Great initial impressions.

From my experience and of course its very dependent on the amount of traffic that you encounter on the audax, but be very mindful of the drain on your GPS battery. I would be very surprised if running the light/radar plus running navigation on the GPS your battery lasts the duration of the audax to be honest?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I cannot say that I have noticed an additional battery drain on my head unit. Then again, I am already running a lot of other sensors.

Use it or lose it

After reading reviews I was quite impressed and bought one.
i used it on 5or6 rides and although it does what it’s supposed to do I found it became a bit of a distraction and I tended to spend to much time looking at the moving dots of approaching cars on the side of my garminedge 520 screen for what was behind me than at where I was going.
it might work for folks who have trouble looking behind them,but then IMO it can’t take the place of and never should do of the look over the shoulder,and I think for those people they would be better relying on a rear view mirror.
The Varias flashing rear light though is very good indeed.
So I haven’t used mine for 6 months so anybody interested in buying can have it cheap.
This wasn’t intended as a sales pitch btw. Just my opinion 😃
drop me an email If interested.
I

Milkfloat

An Peanut
After reading reviews I was quite impressed and bought one.
i used it on 5or6 rides and although it does what it’s supposed to do I found it became a bit of a distraction and I tended to spend to much time looking at the moving dots of approaching cars on the side of my garminedge 520 screen for what was behind me than at where I was going.
it might work for folks who have trouble looking behind them,but then IMO it can’t take the place of and never should do of the look over the shoulder,and I think for those people they would be better relying on a rear view mirror.
The Varias flashing rear light though is very good indeed.
So I haven’t used mine for 6 months so anybody interested in buying can have it cheap.
This wasn’t intended as a sales pitch btw. Just my opinion 😃
drop me an email If interested.
I
Why would you you not rely on the audible alerts that a car is approaching and then just glance down to see the dots, rather than monitoring your head unit the whole time?

Top Bottom