Garmin Varia 2 Bike Light & Radar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I used mine on a 200+km rude yesterday and as said up thread the light is brilliant in the gloom and the battery usage increase wasn’t noticeable.

It can ‘see’ cars before I can hear them. Normally it isn’t a single car that unsettles me, but multiple tail gaters. This device shows how many are passing which was very comforting.

Weirdly when I did any filming with my GoPro, the sensor stopped operating. Bluetooth or ANT interference?

Have been using mine for over a year now and wouldn’t cycle without it ,it’s an absolute godsend in the area I live riding country lanes when there is a slight wind as I don’t hear the cars but this gives advanced warnings,fully recommended

Use it or lose it

Yes milk float I would do just that,but unfortunately on the older edge 520 the beep is that low it’s totally inaudible,as I believe has been highlighted in the replies section of most reviews.
i understand the latest Garmins have addressed this known problem.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
GP Lama has just uploaded another video singing the praises of this device. He loves it. Claims it is his favourite gadget.

I’ll be honest: I quite enjoyed the ‘company’ on Saturday’s long ride. It broke the monotony of the long dark stretch at the end of my ride. It was like watching the 80s version of Frogger.

On my Wahoo I had paired up a HRM, cadence sensor, my phone and the radar and battery drainage wasn’t noticeable. I assume that’s because each device has its own battery.

Last edited:
it certainly gives the battery a hammering in the GPS unit, in my case a Edge 500. My ride was around 3.5 hours and 60 miles, and it took the battery level in the GPS from being 100% charged down to less than 10%. Normally I can do a 100 mile ride and still have more battery percentage left than that?
I realise that your review is generally positive, but that's put me right off for sure. 3 and a half hour battery life is nothing.

I think I'll stick to my normal looks and being well lit up at the rear. Always two rear lights.

It's not as of this thing stops you being slammed into by a speeder or drunk, or fires lasers at them as they bear down on you.

I also can't help but wonder how many techy riders pair this device with headphones.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I realise that your review is generally positive, but that's put me right off for sure. 3 and a half hour battery life is nothing.

I think I'll stick to my normal looks and being well lit up at the rear. Always two rear lights.

It's not as of this thing stops you being slammed into by a speeder or drunk, or fires lasers at them as they bear down on you.

I also can't help but wonder how many techy riders pair this device with headphones.
That reduced battery life is not normal.

AlanW

Guru

Just for clarity, the 3.5 hours was the battery duration on the GPS and NOT the light. I was merely pointing out the fact that in my case with a Edge 510 and having it connected to the light/radar it dramatically reduced the run time of the GPS. The rear light/radar itself was still going strong and when on switched on permanent mode as opposed to the flashing mode, its good for around five hours. Personally I prefer the constant mode because when vehicles do come up behind up it starts to flash and increases in the duration of flashing as the vehicle behind gets closer. While it does the same in flash mode, its doesnt have quite the same impact to the driver behind IMHO

Mark pallister

I’ve got the first gen type ,must be 3 yrs old now and has been 100% reliable
use it on a wahoo roam now with a power meter and hr strap can go a 8 hr ride and still have 60% battery left
not so useful in heavy traffic but superb on quite country roads ,will pick up a car before I can hear it especially on a windy day
est thing I’ve ever bought for a bike wouldn’t be without one now

Johnno260

Veteran
I have done a few rides with my RTL510 and I love it, I see no significant drain on my head unit.

Sure it doesn't replace eyes or ears but the shoulder check doesn't always make it obvious how many cars are behind especially in low light bad weather etc, now I have more ref points and can keep my eyes forward more, which with the roads in their current state is priceless.

I really think this is a solid piece of kit, the car position seems really accurate as well.

Top Bottom