Garmin Varia 2 Bike Light & Radar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Guru
I have one of these and love it, only time it became annoying is if I did a full commute, when I was rural it's fantastic, in T Wells with the heavy traffic it's not worth using the radar as the traffic is constant.
Yeah, I could imagine that. If I was commuting, I'd have one (maybe two!) of these more basic tools to try to help me: sod the impact on airflow!
1615802095489.png

I am very much a leisure cyclist: the Varia is a perfect device for me!

Interestingly mine always disconnects when I ride here. Same spot, every time.
View attachment 578728
There must be something interfering.

Weird. The Crystals in the Palace.....

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Ive got the 515 radar unit and Varia front light recently. Typical Garmin pairing frustrations aside the in use performance is excellent from both.

When out on the Cheshire roads the range at which the radar picks up vehicles is impressive, even with slight kinks in the road, and the accuracy with groups of cars and their proximity has been faultless so far, although I still give plenty of look backs anyway.

It’s nice to have that little bit more information on what’s going on behind you at all times.

Last edited:

bobones

Veteran
Interestingly mine always disconnects when I ride here. Same spot, every time.
View attachment 578728
There must be something interfering.
I've noticed mine often disconnects near temporary traffic lights, so I wonder if they're emitting some interfering signal? I also get false positives when passing driveways that have mirrors to help see the road. I've had mine for almost 3 years now, and it was instantly indispensable. Brilliant piece of kit.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Has anyone managed to successfully use one attached to a saddlebag or lower on a seatstay? I understand that higher up and parallel to the road is optimal.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I have used a Garmin Varia Light/Radar for a couple of years and I wouldn't be without one now.
I have mine attached to the rear of my helmet, just using the rubber bands provided.
I find having it higher up really efficient and in the time I have been using it have never had a single instance of non recognition
of a vehicle.
i-fqq9JF7-L.jpg

i-XDVmDbh-L.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Has anyone managed to successfully use one attached to a saddlebag or lower on a seatstay? I understand that higher up and parallel to the road is optimal.
I think you mean perpendicular to the road ;)

I have bodged engineered a mount on the back of my rack. Not high up but definitely perpendicular. Works OK.

Last edited:
I have the RTL515, not sure what the difference is between the 510 and 515 but mine’s a great bit of kit- it does exactly what it says on the tin. If there are two or three cars behind it will show two or three on the head unit, so you are prepared. It’s no substitute for good old fashioned looking over the shoulder, but useful nonetheless.

Slightly frustrating when riding in towns and cities, on busy roads or in large groups as it obviously beeps it’s t*ts off, but at least it’s doing its job and there’s probably a way to silence it in those scenarios that I haven’t worked out just yet…..On country lanes or for solo riding in particular however it’s brilliant, particularly if you have electric cars approaching where you can’t necessarily hear them.

I have the RTL515, not sure what the difference is between the 510 and 515 but mine’s a great bit of kit- it does exactly what it says on the tin. If there are two or three cars behind it will show two or three on the head unit, so you are prepared. It’s no substitute for good old fashioned looking over the shoulder, but useful nonetheless.

Slightly frustrating when riding in towns and cities, on busy roads or in large groups as it obviously beeps it’s t*ts off, but at least it’s doing its job and there’s probably a way to silence it in those scenarios that I haven’t worked out just yet…..On country lanes or for solo riding in particular however it’s brilliant, particularly if you have electric cars approaching where you can’t necessarily hear them.
It's the road noise you hear though. Not the engine ,- especially at the speeds you'd need to be overtaken by one ?

mikeIow

Guru
Yep electric cars are easy enough to hear.
Except in town…several times I’ve had to gently toot people who are completely unaware of us, even though our Kona has a sci-fi or below 19mph :laugh: I sometimes lower the window and shout “sorry, it’s electric” to explain why they were unaware of us….

I notice the Varia can often alert me to cars before I might here them….& I don’t think that is all down to my bad hearing :rolleyes:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I noticed a problem yesterday where the front light tells my garmin Edge that is low on battery power (it isn't) and the rear light is disconnected from the network. After switch off/on, the rear light started working again although the front light still displays "low battery".

I'm not too bothered and will try removing and re-joining both lights to the garmin edge.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Except in town…several times I’ve had to gently toot people who are completely unaware of us, even though our Kona has a sci-fi or below 19mph :laugh: I sometimes lower the window and shout “sorry, it’s electric” to explain why they were unaware of us….

I notice the Varia can often alert me to cars before I might here them….& I don’t think that is all down to my bad hearing :rolleyes:

Thats just people ignoring you or not paying attention rather than not hearing. I can easily hear electric cars and my hearing isn’t that of my youth.

Top Bottom