Garmin withdrawing support for Windows XP :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
It's bonkers isn't it. XP was falling over for us though after years of software - didn't dare un-install it due to my wife's stuff and my son's iabetes software (they had Win 7 compatability issues). But had to take the plunge or fork out for a new desktop (when we have new I7 and I5 laptops at home - the I7 being top end :ohmy: - my wife want's a computer she can use and not the kids messing it up).

The move to Win 7 has been great with the clear out and fresh install. Vastly improved boot speed and generally much zippier than an old XP install.

The biggest issue was updates, even a newly downloaded installation (genuine license) still needed nearly 300 updates. Just had to leave the machne on for over a day to sort itself out. Madness

Tell me about it, I repair and sell pc's I spend vast parts of my life doing hundreds and hundreds of pesky updates on new pc's. At least with windows 7 they download quickly with window 8.1 they download as and when they like, lets hope windows 10 is going to be to windows 8.1 what windows 7 was to vista.

£45,000 pftt.. try £150,000 to upgrade a monitoring system from win NT. Theres at least another £80,000 to finish off the rest of it at some point.
Network only uses 2 pc's plus 1/2 dozen winCE touch screens and the main controller doesn't amount to much more than a rasberryPi.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Our main PC has been on XP until recently when we started getting issues - it's about 10 years old but still pretty nippy (2GB Mem Athlon 64 3400)

An upgrade (fresh) install of Win 7 went OK. The main thing I did was upgrade the graphics card. It had a Radeon x850 XT PE (AGP) in it and at the time this was a blisteringly fast card (cost £250), but it wasn't playing video well anymore. Managed to get a mint second hand Radeon HD3850 (AGP) which hits about 7 out of 8 on the Windows score (not bad for an aged machine). The machine is actually running better on 7 than XP - it's also had a big clear out.

The only compatability was with a new(ish) Belkin USB hub - it didn't like it ! Garmin Express was re-installed and all was OK. The main reasons were also improved internet explorer as MS stopped support too. Strava only likes the latest versions.

The other option we had was to put Garmin Express on one of the kids PC's, but seeing that I'm constantly removing browser hyjacks from my son's laptop, nope!

Our other issue was we have a Diabetes analytical programme for m lads blood glucose meter and making sure the data was safe before the upgrade was essential. Even that programme now runs better under Win 7.

If you've got 2GB RAM, half decent processor, and a good graphics card you'll be OK.
I just upgraded my pc a few days ago using an oem disk which cost £35 as my pc`s specs are 4 gb ram, dual core athlon 3800 , nvidia 630 GFX card with 2 gb ram , the system supports up to 16 gb of ram but xp was topping out at 3.25 gb due to 32 bit OS .
I backed up all the data /bookmarks/contacts etc that i wanted to keep onto the secondary HDD , did a clean install on the main drive ,installed the most used programs and imported all the data back .
Its running a lot smoother as the old system used to give bios acpi errors even though the system is fully acpi compliant and i have room to increase ram as needed .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's bonkers isn't it. XP was falling over for us though after years of software - didn't dare un-install it due to my wife's stuff and my son's iabetes software (they had Win 7 compatability issues). But had to take the plunge or fork out for a new desktop (when we have new I7 and I5 laptops at home - the I7 being top end :ohmy: - my wife want's a computer she can use and not the kids messing it up).

The move to Win 7 has been great with the clear out and fresh install. Vastly improved boot speed and generally much zippier than an old XP install.

The biggest issue was updates, even a newly downloaded installation (genuine license) still needed nearly 300 updates. Just had to leave the machne on for over a day to sort itself out. Madness
I had 197 updates , thats from win 7 service pack 1 install.

Mirac

Regular
Be grateful for any ideas on this one. I can download Garmin Connect on the PC using window xp but when I try to install it on my laptop with Windows7 I get an error "Microsoft .NET Framework required". Downloaded the repair too,l run the program but no errors were found. Any ideas?

User269

I said a sad farewell to XP some months back due to garmin, amongst other things, no longer functioning fully or at all.

I have 7 & 8.1 on laptops, so upgraded to 8.1. People like 7 'cos they can find their way around, but it's full of bugs. You can't upgrade XP to 8.1, have to get 8 first. Downloaded it from microsoft.co.uk then got the free upgrade to 8.1 (via windows store in 8).

I've been a great fan of 8 for some time. It's a stable, fast, and safe OS. The updates sort themselves out, unless you want to fuss over them and DIY. You need to configure the GUI to your taste and get rid of some of the stupid tiles and silly version of IE. Otherwise everything is where you'd expect to find it.

Forward! Forward! Embrace our glorious modern age!

mustang1

Guru
Tell me about it, I repair and sell pc's I spend vast parts of my life doing hundreds and hundreds of pesky updates on new pc's. At least with windows 7 they download quickly with window 8.1 they download as and when they like, lets hope windows 10 is going to be to windows 8.1 what windows 7 was to vista.
I bet they call it Windows X then the trendy (haha) IT Marketing folk will call it WX or WinX or WWX. The update will be so awesome that they didn't dare call it windows 9.

mustang1

Guru
Yup just run Windows 7 or 8.1 with a Windows XP virtual machine installed for your legacy apps.
I thought in win7 you could run xp programs by right clicking the exe, going to properties then choose run as xp. Then that will automatically fire up an xp VM for you so no further configuration required on your part. Havent used windows for a while so I could be wrong.

mustang1

Guru
Be grateful for any ideas on this one. I can download Garmin Connect on the PC using window xp but when I try to install it on my laptop with Windows7 I get an error "Microsoft .NET Framework required". Downloaded the repair too,l run the program but no errors were found. Any ideas?
Usually it would say a certain version of the .net framework is required but if it doesn't then just download the latest which I think k includes all the previous versions. Google for ".net framework download" and I think youll get the right link from Microsoft site.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I bet they call it Windows X then the trendy (haha) IT Marketing folk will call it WX or WinX or WWX. The update will be so awesome that they didn't dare call it windows 9.

They couldn't call it windows 9 because they realized that when some scripts check to see what OS you are running when accessing a website & check for 9* as in 98 and 95 so if they called it windows 9 it would get mixed up for those instead, but they only realized at the last minute when someone pointed it out to them :banghead:

As far as I know it will be released as Windows 10 and is supposed to be on Jan 21st.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I thought in win7 you could run xp programs by right clicking the exe, going to properties then choose run as xp. Then that will automatically fire up an xp VM for you so no further configuration required on your part. Havent used windows for a while so I could be wrong.
That sounds like compatibility mode, not the same thing?

Virtual XP Mode has to be downloaded first and then configured like normal XP.

You may then be able to launch programs into the environment once it is setup, I haven't noticed that functionality but that's not to say it isn't there.

We use virtual XP Mode on a couple of our post lot rework systems at work (pharma packaging line)

Top Bottom