Gas boilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Does everyone get their gas boilers checked/serviced regularly?

I ask because chap I have been seeing hasn’t has his done for around 10 years and is a little surprised that I choose not to sleep there if the boiler is on. I have just wandered home, in the cold as I don’t really want to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.
I am overreacting in his view. Not in mine. I have had headaches at his, quite often and I am wondering if it’s related.

He says that it’s very expensive. It’s not! Even expensive British Gas are about £84 so it’s not a vast amount.

classic33

Leg End Member
Get all five gas appliances checked using a local gas engineer. Just over £150 for the lot in one go.

Normally required for home/house insurance to be valid.

C R

Guru
Does everyone get their gas boilers checked/serviced regularly?

I ask because chap I have been seeing hasn’t has his done for around 10 years and is a little surprised that I choose not to sleep there if the boiler is on. I have just wandered home, in the cold as I don’t really want to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.
I am overreacting in his view. Not in mine. I have had headaches at his, quite often and I am wondering if it’s related.

He says that it’s very expensive. It’s not! Even expensive British Gas are about £84 so it’s not a vast amount.
You can get a carbon monoxide detector for less than a tenner in the supermarket. It would be worth putting one in the house if you suspect there might be a problem.

Definitely worth having the boiler checked yearly, the cost is minimal compared to the consequences of poisoning from low level carbon monoxide exposure.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You can get a carbon monoxide detector for less than a tenner in the supermarket. It would be worth putting one in the house if you suspect there might be a problem. Definitely worth having it checked yearly, the cost is minimal compared to the consequences of poisoning from low level carbon monoxide exposure.
Sorry, I'm not clear about that. Do you mean getting the detector checked annually, or the boiler?

Levo-Lon

Guru
You can get a carbon monoxide detector for less than a tenner in the supermarket. It would be worth putting one in the house if you suspect there might be a problem.

Definitely worth having the boiler checked yearly, the cost is minimal compared to the consequences of poisoning from low level carbon monoxide exposure.

Edited for clarity.

This
Even if it's ok, you will at least get a audible warning.

His boiler will be getting near end of life so he may know its going to be a condemned boiler.

As far as i know i think you can get a free gas check if you think you can smell Gas but probably not for monoxide..
Worth a call, they can only say no.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
He really should get the boiler checked, 10 years without a service is madness. As said above get him a carbon monoxide detector, if your headaches continue then it could be just his conversation and I’d dump him! :hello:

alicat

Legendary Member
Fit a detector/take one with you when you visit if you're worried. I'm not sure the service engineer tests for C0 as part of a service anyway.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Fit a detector/take one with you when you visit if you're worried. I'm not sure the service engineer tests for C0 as part of a service anyway.

A gas engineer will check all is as it should be.
They specifically check venting and the flame - burner ect as this is the reason for monoxide leakages.
If they have any doubts they can do more detailed checks, smoke bombs to find a leak and take readings and pressures..
A yellow flame on a gas appliance is a big clue to it being dangerous.

Fitting monoxide detection device is so easy and cheap.
Regular servicing of a gas appliance is also cheap if you value your life and those around you:smile:

Top Bottom