Gas boilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member

I have a modern combi in the bedroom with a £12 detector (sealed for 7 year life of battery) positioned 2-3m from boiler (as per the instructions) as you can see, not difficult.

The OP can always buy a cheepo one to carry in handbag and place it in a temporary location when there

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Let's hope that isn't the case, if it is he is not worth "seeing" as he is neglecting his duty of care.
There is no duty when dealing with the public, obviously there is a moral requirement but that's it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine is the horizontal flue type, which means I can sensibly get away with every 2nd year for servicing. We've got CO2 detectors too.

British gas, who are normally sheet, have an excellent homecare type scheme. About £13 a month to cover your boiler and plumbing, and you can tear the arriss out of it (I have in the past) without complaint. They then chuck in an annual service too, so it's pretty good value all told.

As for your feller, i can understand your reluctance to stay there. It also raises other questions - if the guy is that tight then might that itself be a problem further on down the line, and what bloke uses "I haven't had my boiler serviced in a decade" as a chat up line?

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
False economy IMO. No idea what his financial situation is but at less than £2.00 a week its (to me) a no brainer, especially with the age of it (the boiler, not the guy you are seeing^_^).
We got new boilers** a few years ago and they are so much more efficient.
**we have a seperate one in the granny flat.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Mine is the horizontal flue type, which means I can sensibly get away with every 2nd year for servicing. We've got CO2 detectors too.

British gas, who are normally sheet, have an excellent homecare type scheme. About £13 a month to cover your boiler and plumbing, and you can tear the arriss out of it (I have in the past) without complaint. They then chuck in an annual service too, so it's pretty good value all told.

As for your feller, i can understand your reluctance to stay there. It also raises other questions - if the guy is that tight then might that itself be a problem further on down the line, what bloke uses "I haven't had my boiler serviced in a decade" as a chat up line?
But tbf she also uses the "I have a headache" reason not to sleep there ^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Balanced flue boilers are unlikely to leak CO but you can sometimes get a burn hole or leaking seal in the casing, so it's not certain. A CO detector is a good idea. If it was a rented house, an annual check and certification would be mandatory.

crossfire

Ours is serviced every year on its anniversary, (condition of the Bosch Worcester guarantee) by the installer and cost about £90, and they are not the cheapest but we have used them for years - back when he was one man with a van.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

As for your feller, i can understand your reluctance to stay there. It also raises other questions - if the guy is that tight then might that itself be a problem further on down the line, and what bloke uses "I haven't had my boiler serviced in a decade" as a chat up line?
I use homecare, well worth it for me espcially with 2 young uns means apart from the safety if something goes wrong i get shunted up the priority for getting it fixed if somethign goes wrong , had a water leak from the boiler the other year and they were here within a couple of hours job done .

aferris2

Guru
View attachment 493028

I have a modern combi in the bedroom with a £12 detector (sealed for 7 year life of battery) positioned 2-3m from boiler (as per the instructions) as you can see, not difficult.

The OP can always buy a cheepo one to carry in handbag and place it in a temporary location when there
I write the date on the detector too, so I don't have to work out when it should be replaced (because I'm never going to remember that far back)

Levo-Lon

Guru

:laugh: smooth talking Boiler, I'll get my coat

I get an annual check, cheapest in summertime.
My old back boiler was condemned so i got a modern one, then had to update my bathroom to fit it in.

Top Bottom