Gas boilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
ColinJ said:
Sis...is 'somewhat peeved'*** /QUOTE]

Pah! So, it's cost her the equivalent of about 1 or 2 month's rent. I never feel sorry for landlords - sell the property and I dare say there will be a handsome capital gain (which will have minimal CG tax given the obscene allowances they can wangle).

Disgusted of Bedfordshire.

So which allowances are these then?

keithmac

Guru
We have our Worcester Bosch serviced every year and also have the carbon monoxide detector.

Boiler is in the airing cupboard which opens into daughters bedroom, not ideal really.

You can't be too careful with gas imho.

Levo-Lon

Guru
We have our Worcester Bosch serviced every year and also have the carbon monoxide detector.

Boiler is in the airing cupboard which opens into daughters bedroom, not ideal really.

You can't be too careful with gas imho.

Maybe you should have got an Ideal Boiler solves everything :laugh:. I know :whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
Apologies for tagging onto a post but my 23 year old boiler, good as it has been and hopefully still will be, its maybe dawned on me today how inefficient it might be.
We dont use the heating much by preference although we do run a bath every night...our bill is £60 monthly, so £15 weekly...so bearing in mind we dont have the heating on much...how much are some people's bills !!!!
Talking to my mum today, shes 89 and I swear she has the heating on all year round, never below 25, often 28. Her bill is the same as mine but she has a modern combi boiler.
Hmmmm, I'm not averse to a new system anyway but maybe hadn't even thought of the weekly cost savings with a modern boiler.:wacko:

C R

Guru
Apologies for tagging onto a post but my 23 year old boiler, good as it has been and hopefully still will be, its maybe dawned on me today how inefficient it might be.
We dont use the heating much by preference although we do run a bath every night...our bill is £60 monthly, so £15 weekly...so bearing in mind we dont have the heating on much...how much are some people's bills !!!!
Talking to my mum today, shes 89 and I swear she has the heating on all year round, never below 25, often 28. Her bill is the same as mine but she has a modern combi boiler.
Hmmmm, I'm not averse to a new system anyway but maybe hadn't even thought of the weekly cost savings with a modern boiler.:wacko:
When we changed the old boiler with water tank for a new combi boiler our gas bill went down by a third, about six years ago.

Levo-Lon

Guru

Our new glow worm is fabulous, after the old inefficient Halstead.

The new boiler is Smart, it uses only what is called for, burner powers down if you turn on cold water etc, so it saves gas all the time.

Old boilers just run flat out when heating tap water.
Heating is miles better as this boiler also has far more btu's 30000 iirc
Old boiler was about 18000btu.

Cost me about £850 for the boiler "10y guarantee" mate fitted it and altered some plumbing, added a filter and lime fighter, all for £400.
He services it every yr for £50 so its stamped up with glow worm for warranty.

If you can you should invest in a new one, save you loads.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I spoke to my sister again today. The total bill was £1,350! Apparently, there was "an unexplained hole" in the boiler... I can't quite see how her tenant could have 'accidentally' put a hole through a combi-boiler unless somebody was using a gun, crossbow, chainsaw, grenade launcher (whatever) inside the property! :wacko:
The engineer who replaced that boiler came round to do the annual gas safety check here a couple of days ago. I asked him about the mysterious hole in the other boiler. Apparently, corrosion had eaten through the heat exchanger from the inside. I'm wondering if the original engineer had neglected to add corrosion inhibitor to the system?

PaulB

Legendary Member
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kind-plumber-fixes-boiler-elderly-20076274

Some on you may recall the story of this unsung total hero and his refusal to charge an elderly lady for repairing her boiler but this Sunday, we saw him in action and this man deserves an MBE or something.

My mother-in-law called early on Sunday to say she had no heating on a freezing day in this, the run-up to Christmas. She lives on her own so didn't know what to do and we planned bringing her to live with us while it was all sorted but no.....James Anderson found out about it and came to the rescue! He went round, discovered the fault meant she'd need a new boiler, replaced it, ensured everything was working perfectly and was asked what the cost would be. Nothing, nil, nada. My M-i-L is 84 and lives on her own so this was enough for this heart-of-gold plumber to decide no payment was needed, all he asked was for her to hand out his business cards to her friends and acquaintances in the area. He also told her to cancel her contract with the gas company and he'd personally look after all her heating and plumbing requirements from that moment on!

This is a man with eight kids and got into debt for a while when he started up his business and has a real conscience about the people of the local community and does all he can to help them.

This man needs his reputation to spread far and wide.

Mark pallister

Yes ,ours needs a yearly service to keep the 10yr warranty going
we pay £50 cash

Top Bottom