Gave up coffee ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Unleaded is just as bad on the digestion system.
Ahh - I remember the days of 5 star and even national benzole mix [a fine carcinogenic if ever there was one].
As for the OP cut down SLOWLY and try increasing the fruit in the diet to counteract the 'blockages' [apples seem to work OK for me]

stephec

Legendary Member
I am almost exactly the same as this. I have both in the morning though. Also agree that filter or instant is vile so don't touch it. same with the sludge that comes out of the machine at work.

I used to drink about 9 or 10 doubles a day but had a really bad seizure and fell down the escalator at the train station so cut back dramatically (and stopped smoking at the same time) so it was easy enough to do with that kind of kickstart.

Nine or ten, I'm quite immune to it but, fark me! :eek::eek:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm drinking much less coffee since changing jobs, previous job had strong stuff from little pods on tap. Most days I may have two coffees of some sort, perhaps Tassimo at home, an instant (although xx( ) or a skinny latte or two out and about (2 shots) :cuppa:

I do drink a lot of tea though, probably six mugs a day?! And maybe a can or bottle of diet coke/zero

My innards are generally ok except when taking codeine! I eat quite a lot of fruit

If I go a day without coffee I do feel headachy but not sure I can directly attribute

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I had to start checking my caffeine intake on night shifts. I'd drink around 8-10 mugs before 3am then get sick and headachey. I do enjoy coffee especially fresh ground at least once a day at home but I now limit myself to the instant at work, I do drink a lot of water and fresh juices as well though, can't stand coke or anything.
I suppose its like anything, its OK in moderation.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Old wives tale - coffee has more caffeine than tea. Actually tea can have twice as much caffeine as coffee...true fact.

Those old NHS & there wives tales ...

How much caffeine?
The amount of caffeine found in some foods and drinks is as follows:

• one mug of instant coffee: 100mg
  • one mug of filter coffee: 140mg
  • one mug of tea: 75mg
  • one can of cola: 40mg
  • one can of energy drink: up to 80mg
  • one 50g bar of plain chocolate: up to 50mg
  • one 50g bar of milk chocolate: up to 25mg

• Research is suggesting in moderation caffeine is helpful with depression - though inverse for anxiety disorders which many people don't recognise is the cause of 'depression'.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/caffeine-addiction-and-its-effects/200735.article

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
gave up coffee...started red bull.
I used to have a couple of cans a day when i was a milkman , 2 am starts 6 days a week .

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Those old NHS & there wives tales ...

How much caffeine?
The amount of caffeine found in some foods and drinks is as follows:

• one mug of instant coffee: 100mg
  • one mug of filter coffee: 140mg
  • one mug of tea: 75mg
  • one can of cola: 40mg
  • one can of energy drink: up to 80mg
  • one 50g bar of plain chocolate: up to 50mg
  • one 50g bar of milk chocolate: up to 25mg

• Research is suggesting in moderation caffeine is helpful with depression - though inverse for anxiety disorders which many people don't recognise is the cause of 'depression'.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/caffeine-addiction-and-its-effects/200735.article
Outdated research dude. Check out something from 2013 onwards.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Sample Caffeine (μg mL−1) RSD%, n = 3 Caffeine added (μg mL−1) Caffeine found (μg mL−1) Relative recovery (%) RSD%, n = 3
Green tea 120.5 3.2 50.0 169.8 98.5 3.7
Oolong tea 145.2 4.7 50.0 193.3 96.2 4.5
White tea 165.8 4.0 50.0 214.1 96.7 3.9
Black tea 149.5 3.0 50.0 198.9 98.8 3.6
Tea bag 171.7 4.5 50.0 220.4 97.4 4.8
Coffee 267.5 2.8 50.0 318.1 101.2 3.0
Nescafe coffee 246.8 3.2 50.0 295.6 97.6 3.8
Red bull 297.9 2.9 50.0 348.2 100.5 3.4
Hype 314.7 3.3 50.0 364.4 99.4 2.8
Coca cola 94.1 4.5 25.0 118.9 99.2 4.4
Coca-zero 83.1 2.6 25.0 107.7 98.8 3.1
Pepsi 55.5 3.1 25.0 80.6 100.3 3.7
Pepsi max 51.3 2.9 25.0 76.2 99.6 2.7
7up nda nd 25.0 24.5 98.0 4.2
Sprite nd nd 25.0 24.4 97.6 4.5
  • a

Not detected.
The relative recovery (RR) was calculated using the following equation:

equation2
1-s2.0-S0308814614002805-si2.gif

where Cfound, Creal, and Cadded are the concentrations of analyte after addition of known amounts of standard in the real sample, the concentration of analyte in real sample and the concentration of known amounts of the standard which was spiked to the real sample, respectively. The relative recovery values of 96.2–101.2% were obtained with three repeated measurements. The results demonstrated that the different sample matrices had no significant influence on the extraction efficiency of caffeine.

This is all relative as well, I like strong tea but weak coffee - so now thanks to reading research, I know my tea is higher in caffeine.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Top 10 Caffeine Withdrawal Symptoms
Headache

A caffeine headache usually starts behind the eyes and then moves up the front of the head.
Sleepiness
This just isn’t your normal tiredness, this is sitting up straight but still can’t keep your eyes open tiredness.
Irritability
Everyone and everything gets on your last nerve. It’s best just to lock yourself in your room during this stage.
Lethargy
Forget about productivity at this stage because you’ll be unmotivated to do anything.
Constipation
Caffeine stimulates the bowel, so without its daily dose the colon gets a little cranky too.
Depression
Caffeine withdrawal can take away all hope for living. Temporary blues are one thing, but if you already struggle with depression this could be a big issue.
Muscle Pain/Stiffness
If you normally have some caffeine prior to exercise then during caffeine withdrawal you could feel as though your muscles have weights strapped to them.
Lack of Concentration
Forget school, studying, brain surgery, or jet engine repair during this stage of withdrawal.
Flu-like symptoms
Stuffy nose, blocked sinuses, and even vomiting have been reported by people withdrawing from caffeine.
Insomnia
Some people actually can’t sleep when going through caffeine withdrawal.
See updated table above.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I drink a lot of coffee. Always have. Decafinated coffee is just as bad if not worse for you, because of the amount of chemical processes the coffee has to go through to decafinate it.

i think I'd die if I didn't have any more coffee. And fresh coffee is the only way to go.:cuppa:
Evidence to back this statement up? Sounds like, sound-bite nonsense.

Top Bottom