Gear cable change on Shimano RS 505 hydraulic shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roughrider

I was about to say, with the shifter set to the right gear the cable should simply slide out of the side. Otherwise you spend thirty minutes swearing. DAMHITK. :wacko:
If the cable has broken inside the shifter this will be a pain; perseverance and luck will be needed, but eventually I managed to clear mine out with the help of a fine tipped slothead screwdriver. A bit of up/down shifting with push and pull of the frayed cable end helped too. Manual suggests replacement of the plastic guides if cable breaks off inside the shifter. I didn't - time will tell if this was essential

si_c

Guru
If the cable has broken inside the shifter this will be a pain; perseverance and luck will be needed, but eventually I managed to clear mine out with the help of a fine tipped slothead screwdriver. A bit of up/down shifting with push and pull of the frayed cable end helped too. Manual suggests replacement of the plastic guides if cable breaks off inside the shifter. I didn't - time will tell if this was essential
That's basically the problem I had with mine, the cable snapped off where it turns inside the shifter, of course this happened as I was shifting up the block, so the frayed cable got lost inside the unit. I just replaced the cable as well, as there was no obvious damage, that was about 4k miles ago.

dhiltonp

Thanks for the post, it was a big help. I took a few images, hopefully it will help someone else.

This is for the Shimano ST-RS505 hydraulic brake brifter.

Imgur gallery (photos embedded below)

EVRFYp9.jpg

NwiPVKO.jpg

w23o8EJ.jpg

yS6oojQ.jpg

Venset

Thanks for awesome pictures and clear answers! You just saved my day!
Wanna attach one mine photo where you could see how cable mounted into the shifter. It is really important to put it on the lowest gear, otherwise you will not see it.
G_V_85crAIJm2tDnXXSO2JPudTO3YByhFEI1PRXbi54EpEMQ8WM_AGmhFj9h2dfzeu3b5NDkdDpUDoecw=w1690-h2252-no.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
I carry a sturdy (3cm) safety pin in my tools placcy bag so that, if this happens on the road, I can get the broken end out of the STI, as the various items on a multitool are all of too high a calibre. Also comes in useful to pick out the tiny shard(s) which, well embedded and very difficult to see/detect, sometimes cause punctures.

albal

Guru
I have a bigger problem, installed new cable, not realising the gear cable guide was damaged thus it killed the main body and snapped. Now I need a new body, can't see one for sale anywhere. It's a crap design, resigned to buy replacement at Tredz. It's the L shifter.

Top Bottom