gear cable snapped - can you help me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Hi
My gear cable has snapped - for rear derailer. Cable was factory-fitted original, 4 years old on bike (Allez) ridden every day.
I don't know how to fix this - can you help please? No riding to work until it's fixed either. :sad:
Help!

cable.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

Reactions: Maz
OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
friggin ell, new cables, new tools (cable-cutter, fourth-hand tool?), bar tape, cable outers.
pain in the arse.

friggin ell, new cables, new tools (cable-cutter, fourth-hand tool?), bar tape, cable outers.
pain in the arse.

the only thing you really need to change your gear cable is a 5mm allen key. Cable cutters are nice to have, too. Dunno why you would need to change the bar tape as well, although it is a bit grubby....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You don't need bar tape to replace a gear cable. You need a gear cable and outer, some cutters and an allen key. Nor do you need a fourth hand tool - I've built up umpteen bikes and I'm not even sure what one is.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Asda do a set of gear and brake cables, ferrules, the lot for £5. Get a set of decent pliers / cutters, and a 5mm allen key and you're set.
Or just get the inner and hope the outer is still OK.
Your bar tape does look a bit grubby though...

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
yep, piece of cake to do, no special tools needed may look difficult but it is easy, pair of plyers and a small screwdriver to poke out the broken cable end.

Edit just looked at the wifes bike you may need an allen key

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't have a xth-hand tool and have changed gear cables, so they are not strictly necessary.

Cable-cutters are a good buy because you get a nice clean cut. You can really mangle a cable trying to cut it with pliers (whatever). I've heard of some people using an old chisel and cutting the cable against a block of wood, but if you are going to do that, try the method out on the old cable first!

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Asda do a set of gear and brake cables, ferrules, the lot for £5. Get a set of decent pliers / cutters, and a 5mm allen key and you're set.
Or just get the inner and hope the outer is still OK.
Your bar tape does look a bit grubby though...
thanks, i will check out the Asda effort.

bar tape is grubby because i was fkin around with the gears when I was trying to adjust the front derailer via the adjustment screws-the chain guard was rubbing against the chain. i shouldve left the bugger alone.

mind you, it's 'good' the cable snapped when i was at home, not on the road.

IIRC the videos are of the type where the gear cables are routed under the bar tape (ultegra, Campy) but for Sora, Tiagra and 105 the gear cable is routed straight in to the hood like pictured in the first post. You just need to ensure the gears are released to their full extent (the equivelant of being in the top gear pulling the brake lever exposes the old end which you can remove and you can insert the new cable. I do find it annoying that all my gear cables have snapped in the same place which isnt readably visible.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
IIRC the videos are of the type where the gear cables are routed under the bar tape (ultegra, Campy) but for Sora, Tiagra and 105 the gear cable is routed straight in to the hood like pictured in the first post. You just need to ensure the gears are released to their full extent (the equivelant of being in the top gear pulling the brake lever exposes the old end which you can remove and you can insert the new cable. I do find it annoying that all my gear cables have snapped in the same place which isnt readably visible.
Thanks. Point taken about the cable route being different on my bike compared to the bike in the vid.
I pressed the right brake and I cant see the barrel-end of the cable. It shouldbe visible because I can see it on the other brake (maybe it pinged off onto the floor somewhere? is that likely?).
When i press the brake, a screwed-down small panel is exposed. Do i need to undo remove this panel to gain access to the barrel-end (if its still there and not on the floor somewhere)?

Top Bottom