gear cable snapped - can you help me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks. Point taken about the cable route being different on my bike compared to the bike in the vid.
I pressed the right brake and I cant see the barrel-end of the cable. It shouldbe visible because I can see it on the other brake (maybe it pinged off onto the floor somewhere? is that likely?).
When i press the brake, a screwed-down small panel is exposed. Do i need to undo remove this panel to gain access to the barrel-end (if its still there and not on the floor somewhere)?
Did you shift down your shifters (the same direction as you'd do to top gear, to return the unit to the zero tension position). I've never used Tiagra but with 105 you just press the trigger at the rear of the brake several times until it stops clicking.
There's no screw with 105, the cable end is exposed when you shift down.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Until it's repaired, is the bike still rideable in 'single-speed' mode? i.e. no gear changing?

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Did you shift down your shifters (the same direction as you'd do to top gear, to return the unit to the zero tension position). I've never used Tiagra but with 105 you just press the trigger at the rear of the brake several times until it stops clicking.
There's no screw with 105, the cable end is exposed when you shift down.
No, it snapped when I was trying to put the chain on the largest ring on the cassette.

i use the bike every day and cant remember if it is sora tiagra or 105 shifter.!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No, it snapped when I was trying to put the chain on the largest ring on the cassette.

i use the bike every day and cant remember if it is sora tiagra or 105 shifter.!

If it's a Sora or Tiagra it will have a small thumb lever to change. 105 Doesn't.

Edit: Forget that.. just seen your pic. Your Tiagra levers doesn't have a thumb lever

Until it's repaired, is the bike still rideable in 'single-speed' mode? i.e. no gear changing?
Yes it is but it'll be hard work, it'll be in your highest gear (large ring/ small cassette) you could change to the small ring occasionally (in essence 2 speed) but this isn't advised, its an extreme chain angle, rubbing etc. You could also adjust the rear derailleur limit screws to make your bike sit in a more useable gear but tbh its easier to replace the gear cable. When my snapped up north I cycled home about 40miles in top gear rather than fiddling with the screws. I was fortunate the other two times it burst, once at the top of Cleish Hill (and its nearly all downhill home) and 15 or so miles along the coast which doesn't have too many major climbs.

martint235

Dog on a bike

It's not Sora (iirc they have a Campag style thumb switch to change down). It should say on the front at the top of the lever whether it's 105 or Tiagra.

I meant did you shift down the derailleur now to expose the cable end first, the other way puts tension on the cable which you need to do, to go up the cassette or shift to the large chainring, but will eventually snap the cable.
The Photo looks like it has Tiagra written on the hood but the unit looks the same as the 105 unit, just push the black lever a few times until it stops clicking to reveal the head.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I meant did you shift down the derailleur now to expose the cable end first, the other way puts tension on the cable which you need to do, to go up the cassette or shift to the large chainring, but will eventually snap the cable.
The Photo looks like it has Tiagra written on the hood but the unit looks the same as the 105 unit, just push the black lever a few times until it stops clicking to reveal the head.
OK I'll give that a try and report back.

Davidc

Guru
Until it's fixed use the limit screw to move the rear mech to the middle gear, then you have a useable set of gears on the front mech only.

The Asda cable sets seem to be OK, I'm using one at present. I did cheat with that one though as I was in a hurry, and I only changed the inner. (Not best practice and I don't recommend it).

I've done more gear cables than I can remember, never needed an extra hand, always cut the outers and inners carefully with side cutters, usually re-use the sleeves from the ends of the outer sections. Just be bold and get on with it!

Reactions: Maz
OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Until it's fixed use the limit screw to move the rear mech to the middle gear, then you have a useable set of gears on the front mech only.

The Asda cable sets seem to be OK, I'm using one at present. I did cheat with that one though as I was in a hurry, and I only changed the inner. (Not best practice and I don't recommend it).

I've done more gear cables than I can remember, never needed an extra hand, always cut the outers and inners carefully with side cutters, usually re-use the sleeves from the ends of the outer sections. Just be bold and get on with it!
Hmm, i was hoping you wouldnt say that. :blush:
I've lost count of how many times i've tried to cut corners and paid the price!

Davidc

Guru
Out of interest, why is that? Seems a waste of a perfectly good outer to replace both just because the inner has snapped.

d.
It's because the inner surface of the outer is crucial to smooth working, and if it's been being slowly worn down over, I'd guess, 2 to 10 thousand miles it's nearer failure than a new one.

More critically, if any of the frayed inner has been in contact with a section of outer then that piece of outer will probably have scratches and needs replacement as it will have extra resistance.

That said I can remember having a cable outer fail on its own, and I've had outers damaged when an inner has failed, for both gear and brake cables, but I think I've always got away with it when I've just replaced the inner after the cable's broken at one of the ends.

You make a judgement and live with the results.

Top Bottom