gear cable snapped - can you help me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
If I clip off the one I dont need, I will have the problem that Ianruk mentioned, i.e. the end becoming frayed.

You should have plenty of excess length, so the frayed bit will be cut off once you've got it all set up. The point was to not cut it to the exact length you need until you've finished messing around with it.

Reactions: Maz
You should have plenty of excess length, so the frayed bit will be cut off once you've got it all set up. The point was to not cut it to the exact length you need until you've finished messing around with it.
Unless its cheap 50p cables :blush: The longest cable in one of my packs was cut almost exactly to length, if anything a couple on cm short and I had to use another pack but at 50p a pack of both brake & gear cables and cable ends it was no big loss and the cables haven't let me down and at 50p I wish I'd bought more when they were on offer, however.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Ok, I bought some cables from Asda (kit contains 2 gear cables, 2 brake cables, outers plus end fittings) - £4.

Couple of questions.
1. Should I change the whole set of cables, even though only one gear cable is broken?
2. I don't have any lithium grease as per the instructions. Will other lubes do the job?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ok, I bought some cables from Asda (kit contains 2 gear cables, 2 brake cables, outers plus end fittings) - £4.

Couple of questions.
1. Should I change the whole set of cables, even though only one gear cable is broken?
2. I don't have any lithium grease as per the instructions. Will other lubes do the job?

1: Yes why not. Might as well just in case any of the other cables are frayed
2: Any lube will do
3: Remember: thread the cables first.. then cut to length.

Couple of questions.
If you feel competent you can change the lot but I go with the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' policy and keep the cables for spare.
Yeah any lube will do, just make sure the cables are clean.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
If you feel competent you can change the lot but I go with the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' policy and keep the cables for spare.
Yeah any lube will do, just make sure the cables are clean.
I might be able to borrow a pair of proper cable cutters, but if I don't, can I get away with using some pliers? [note to self: buy my own pair of cutters for future use]

I might be able to borrow a pair of proper cable cutters, but if I don't, can I get away with using some pliers? [note to self: buy my own pair of cutters for future use]
You'll really need cable cutters pliers will make a mess of the end. The last time I misplaced my cutters I went to ASDA and bought a cheap pair for £1.99, they won't be the best but got me back on the road.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Buy decent tools such as Park Tools. They will last a lifetime and the money you save by doing your own maintenance will pay for them.

I had two back gear cables go in a year. I Allways carry spares now on longer rides.I dont carry cutters on a ride but you can just curl up the excess cable and tie it to itself with a cable tie or bit of tape if needed.At least you will have all the gears to get home.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I bought these Cyclo cable cutters - what is the fold-away sharp pointed thing for on the handle?
small_img4d47d548e9335.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If you cut brake cable outer, some of the metal coil can get bent inwards. The pointy bit is a proddler for opening the outer up again.

Gear cables: I've only ever come across single ended cables. With Shimano levers you can use any cable, but the nipple on Campag cables is very slightly smaller and if you use a Shimano pattern gear cable in Campag gear levers the nipple will jam in the lever and make putting your next cable in a right pig.
Universal cables are brake cables with ole barrel nipple for flat bar brake levers and one pear nipple for drop ber levers.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
OK. I'm really stuck.

Looks like the nipple and frayed ends of the cable are stuck inside the right shifter. It's doing my head in just trying to pluck them out. I have no idea if the nipple is jammed in there or not or whether it is just some frayed cable that's stuck. It is doing my head in.

The camera doesnt show it well, but the frayed ends are near the square notch on the shifter.
IMG-20120701-00059.jpg

Top Bottom