Gear changing on hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Now I've always been told that you should relieve pressure when changing gears with a derailleur set up, but I've been really struggling round Durham, the city of seven hills, if I ease up, I need to change gear again immediately and eventually I run out of gears and grind to a standstill. Aaaaargh!!!!!!

Where am I going wrong ?

If anyone knows Durham, they are steep hills, never used to have a problem in Redditch !!

asterix

Comrade Member
Change down a bit sooner? Keep a higher cadence?

walker

as asterix has said, try and get into a higher cadence before changing, also if you can get into the saddle for a little while as you change might make it a little easier to change too

<in the style of our forum favourite poster [you can guess who....]>

It's worth developing a 'flat spot' in your pedalling action, so you can ease-up and change gear more easily at this point in the pedal stroke.

All these people with fixies who talk about it giving a smoother pedalling action, when do they change gear ?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
andy_wrx said:
<in the style of our forum favourite poster [you can guess who....]>

It's worth developing a 'flat spot' in your pedalling action, so you can ease-up and change gear more easily at this point in the pedal stroke.

All these people with fixies who talk about it giving a smoother pedalling action, when do they change gear ?

apparently they don`t need to change gear :smile:

cyclebum

Hi guys, call me thick (I'm a woman after all so I'm used to it!) :smile: but as a complete novice to the real world of cycling this is all very helpful, or it would be if I could understand what you are talking about. I understand cadence but what is riding fixed? or developing flat and as for stis/ergos - in my world of family planning stis have nothing to do with cycling!!!!!!

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You don't need to stop pedaling, just ease up on the power a bit. Going up one gear at a time won't crunch the gears too dramatically.
And being in the correct Front ring makes it all so much easier

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
cyclebum said:
Hi guys, call me thick (I'm a woman after all so I'm used to it!) :smile: but as a complete novice to the real world of cycling this is all very helpful, or it would be if I could understand what you are talking about. I understand cadence but what is riding fixed? or developing flat and as for stis/ergos - in my world of family planning stis have nothing to do with cycling!!!!!!

Riding fixed: Riding a fixed-gear bike, a bike with one gear and no freewheel. Adherents are often fanatical.

STIs/Ergos: Two types of gear levers used on road bikes.

cyclebum

Thanks for this palinurus, I think I will stick to my 24 speed free wheeler! Not sure what my gear levers are though, must be in the manual somewhere.

cyclebum said:
Thanks for this palinurus, I think I will stick to my 24 speed free wheeler! Not sure what my gear levers are though, must be in the manual somewhere.

You may not have gear levers - you probably have speed alterers :smile:

Top Bottom