1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear changing on hills

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Elmer Fudd, 14 Sep 2007.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Now I've always been told that you should relieve pressure when changing gears with a derailleur set up, but I've been really struggling round Durham, the city of seven hills, if I ease up, I need to change gear again immediately and eventually I run out of gears and grind to a standstill. Aaaaargh!!!!!!

Where am I going wrong ?

If anyone knows Durham, they are steep hills, never used to have a problem in Redditch !!

2. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Change down a bit sooner? Keep a higher cadence?

3. OP
    OP
    Elmer Fudd

Thinkin' about it, not been on me bike for a while so prob need to rebuild me pedalling muscles !!!

4. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

ride fixed and don`t worry about gears :smile:

5. walker

walker New Member

as asterix has said, try and get into a higher cadence before changing, also if you can get into the saddle for a little while as you change might make it a little easier to change too

6. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

are you using stis/ergos?

7. OP
    OP
    Elmer Fudd

STI's, oh, it's a hybrid bike as well

8. <in the style of our forum favourite poster [you can guess who....]>

It's worth developing a 'flat spot' in your pedalling action, so you can ease-up and change gear more easily at this point in the pedal stroke.

All these people with fixies who talk about it giving a smoother pedalling action, when do they change gear ?

9. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

apparently they don`t need to change gear :smile:

10. cyclebum

cyclebum Senior Member

Hi guys, call me thick (I'm a woman after all so I'm used to it!) :smile: but as a complete novice to the real world of cycling this is all very helpful, or it would be if I could understand what you are talking about. I understand cadence but what is riding fixed? or developing flat and as for stis/ergos - in my world of family planning stis have nothing to do with cycling!!!!!!

11. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

You don't need to stop pedaling, just ease up on the power a bit. Going up one gear at a time won't crunch the gears too dramatically.
    And being in the correct Front ring makes it all so much easier

12. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Riding fixed: Riding a fixed-gear bike, a bike with one gear and no freewheel. Adherents are often fanatical.

STIs/Ergos: Two types of gear levers used on road bikes.

13. cyclebum

cyclebum Senior Member

Thanks for this palinurus, I think I will stick to my 24 speed free wheeler! Not sure what my gear levers are though, must be in the manual somewhere.

14. John Ponting

John Ponting Über Member

You may not have gear levers - you probably have speed alterers :smile:

15. cyclebum

cyclebum Senior Member

wots the difference??:smile: