Gear changing problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CJ87

Hi guys,
My bike is a pretty cheap and nasty unbranded road bike which I picked up off ebay (Think Stem shifters). I didn't want to jump in straight away with a better more expensive bike and I do love her, shes light, looks good and fits well. I'm not sure if this is a problem as such or just more of an annoyance. Basically (and please excuse my lamens terminonlogy as I'm pretty clueless), in most gears it makes a god awful noise, alot of clinking and things like that. At times it seems as if the chain takes forever to jump up a cog, and sometimes for a few seconds it sticks before finally falling into place, although the noises still usually continue. Does anyone have any ideas what this problem might be? The bike is allegedly (and looks) brand new, and I appreciate the parts aren't great but is this simply a matter of having the gears setup properly by my LBS? If so is it going to be expensive?
I hope somebody can understand what I'm going on about!
Cheers,
Chris.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can you have a look at the bits on it and tell us names and numbers etc.

As the gears are making a 'noise' it will be the adjustment on the rear mech most likely....

Get down low and see if the wheels (jockey wheels) on the mech (gear changer) are in line with the sprocket (rear gear) you are in (i.e. when it's changed gear). If not, if you turn clockwise, it will move the mech towards the right (if viewed from the rear) or anti-clock to move inwards (left to the wheel)...

You also need to ensure the cables are free from dirt - i.e. strip and remove, check, clean or replace and refit !

Allways a good look through is Sheldon Brown's website - just drop that name in google and you'll be there !

OP
OP
C

CJ87

The only markings I can see on my ghetto bike are:
Shimano MFTZ06 - I assume this is the freewheel?
Shimano RDTY18
Shimano FDTY18

Again I assume these are the front/rear derailleurs. I've given everything a good clean although at present this is as far as my knowledge goes. Also (from what I can see) everything APPEARS to be in line although theres a huge chance I'm checking this wrongly. If I took my bike down to my LBS does it sound like a pretty cheap/simple problem for them to fix?

RedBike

It sounds like your cables have stretched (this is quite normal for new bikes). There will be a barel adjuster either by the shifters or by the rear mech.

Just give this a slight turn to re-tention the cable.

OP
OP
C

CJ87

Cheers redbike! I tightened the barrel and it seems to have sorted most of the problems out, although after consulting Sheldon Brown's website I'm told this is normal when just tightening the barrel first off, after a few hours of reading I have a pretty good idea where to start tomorrow! Thanks alot guys, you've probably just saved me a few quid :becool:.

Top Bottom