Gear Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazcambs

Hi All,

Well I went out on my new bike for the first time this morning and all was going well until my chain came off.
I was testing all the gears and on the left hand side gears I went from 1 to 2 and all worked fine then when I went to go back to 1 it got stuck so I couldn't move the pedals and the chain came off. I managed to put it back but then it wouldn't connect properly when I wanted to go from 2 back to 1.

Will see how it is tomorrow but could it be that it hasn't been set up correctly? Or am I using the gears wrong? Sorry if my terminology for parts are not right, I'm a newbie:smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
What type of bike, gears, levers and was the bike set up by the shop.?

flyingfish

Take it back & keep taking it back until it works properly, sorry but halfords need poking with a blunt object sometimes. They ended up swapping my O.H's Pendleton.
Pete
PS
Hi & welcome btw

13 rider

Guru
  • My 13 hybrid was from halfords and on my first rides I had a few chain off moments but I think they were down to user error .Yours does sound like a set up problem take it back to get them to check and then ride it round the Car park to check. If you are taking the bike inside a car make sure the gears are on the top side you can knock the hanger at rear very easily.Was chain coming off on pedal rings or cogs on back wheel ?

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Halfords PDI is, errr...........how can I put this diplomatically............hit and miss, at times.;)
Last two bikes I bought from them (folders) needed an hour on my workstand to sort them out to my satisfaction.
Brakes not centring, gears not indexing, headstock loose and all tyres under pressure by about 30psi.:headshake:
Did the work myself, as I didn't trust them to do a proper job.
Fortunately, I was prepared for this and I got a very good deal on the bikes.
I just pity the average punter that walks in and places their safety in the hands of the 'experts'.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
If I was closer I would say pop it around, be nice if we could set up some kind of help network. Of course this would be hard to do, but nice all the same.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ideally you should avoid 2 on the left with 1 on the right and 1 on the left with the max on the right, but the result should be reduced power and increased wear, not the chain coming off! In other words, it's not set up well. There's tons of good bike shops in cambs, but make Halfrauds do it properly because it's already paid for :-(

OP
OP
Mazcambs

Mazcambs

Thanks all, I was really impressed with the guy who served me from my first visit, to the phone call to say it was in and he was going to build it, to him advising on lights, mud guards etc. As I said in a previous post, he persuaded me not to get the bike I originally saw in store as he said the size wasn't for me as I needed the seat so high and was really informative as I didn't really have a clue . I really thought I had a good one there.

I am going out again today on it just to make sure it wasn't user error.... will let you know how I get on.

13 rider

Guru
Hope you get on OK . yes halfords get have a bad reputation on here but certain stores have some good staff you just never know until you try my halfords in Leicester have a couple of really good ones and I only deal with them

Top Bottom