Gearing: Converting to a 1 x 11 on a 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dic Deryn

Hi all.

I have just come back from a mini tour of Wales, one of the issues I had during the tour was climbing with a fully loaded bike.
The Pinnacle Arkose I ride has a compact twin with a 32t rear cassette. Whilst slogging and pushing up many a hill, I began to thin about fearing options. As I also use the bike for cyclocross touring I fancy converting from the 2 x 11 to a 1 x 11 set up.

In doing this I am thinking of increasing the rear cassette to a 40 or 42t with a 38t at the front.
Has anyone done anything similar? I am thinking of using the long cage 105 derailleur with an increased back stop screw and a 10 speed 42t XT rear cassette. Although I am open to options.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As far as I'm aware the 105 only comes in a med/short cage so you'll have to find a derailleur which specifically handles 42t. You could try a hanger extender.

Hi all.

I have just come back from a mini tour of Wales, one of the issues I had during the tour was climbing with a fully loaded bike.
The Pinnacle Arkose I ride has a compact twin with a 32t rear cassette. Whilst slogging and pushing up many a hill, I began to thin about fearing options. As I also use the bike for cyclocross touring I fancy converting from the 2 x 11 to a 1 x 11 set up.

In doing this I am thinking of increasing the rear cassette to a 40 or 42t with a 38t at the front.
Has anyone done anything similar? I am thinking of using the long cage 105 derailleur with an increased back stop screw and a 10 speed 42t XT rear cassette. Although I am open to options.

38/42 is a big difference. You’ll need to check everything on the drivetrain is compatible regarding tooth difference, capacity and chain wrap. You may even need an extender with a long cage rear mech and a back to front b screw.

T4tomo

Guru
Hi all.

The Arkose comes in a 1x10 variant (I have one) so you can look up the spec on Evans website, pretty sure they use a Sram clutched RD now, though mine has a regular SRAM RD and works fine in conjunction with front chain catcher. They use TPR Hylex brakes and a bar end shifter to get hydro brakes at a decent price point (hence being 10spd.) Have you got 10 or 11 speed shifters at the moment as not worth the expense of changing shifters imho. You need to match cassette speed to shifters as 10 and 11 speed have marginally different casette spacing, and the shifters have different pull ratios.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
Is your current double a 50/34? So at the moment your gear range is c. 29 inches at the low end and c.124 inches at the high end.

Changing to a 38 with a 10-42 will give you a bottom gear of c25 inches, with a top of c.103 inches.

Personally it seems like a lot to spend on no much gain.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hi all.

you can do all this cheaply enough with your current set-up......superstar components have a single front chainring that will bolt onto your current chainset, removing your 50/34 compact chainrings......

shimano 11/42 10 speed cassette and wolftooth roadlink between your rear derrauiler and hanger, you may or may not need a new chain, as your already using it for 50/32......so a 38, 40 upfront and 42 rear wont need any extra chain

i use this set-up on my Ti build with sram 1x11 hydraulic etap and it works sweetly.........it also means you can keep the same shifters and rear mech you have now

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

Top Bottom