Gearing on Track bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondering if anyone knows or heard what the gearing was on the track bikes at the Olympics. Hopefully there`s a pic of the Australian bike. The only thing about it that`s like my road bike is that they are both Argon 18`s lol
87943001_487624738577662_639324887239884800_o.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
54421.jpg

The GB bike manufactured by Hope in Barnoldswick, Lancashire.
https://www.hopetech.com/news/hbt-7005-hours-and-counting/

Attachments

• Team-GB-track-bike-Hope-HBT-1.jpg
    Team-GB-track-bike-Hope-HBT-1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
"Typically, track bikes have rear sprockets with between 12 and 16 teeth, paired with a chainring with between 44 and 60 teeth. The ‘perfect’ gearing will depend on the individual rider’s physiology and the demands of their event. All track riders will have a solid understanding of gear ratios to fine-tune their setup and last-minute switches prior to an event are a common sight."

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
The team pursuit and sprinter bikes are running around 120" gearing, whereas most track riders at that level run 100-108" for other things.

I'm running 96" and son no. 2 runs 98".

I would have thought it was more than that but I bow to your experience. I still couldnt push the pedals round!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They recommend about 86" for Newport track (full size). A bit lower for Calshot, as it's so small. I was running 52 x 17 and was told I had a bit of an unfair advantage in the solo laps (I was also the only one with tubs at sky-high pressure), although it's barely higher than the recommended 48 x 16.

For pursuit and timed events, the gearing will be a lot higher.

Top Bottom