Gearing up for the winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've been commuting all winter for many years. I'd say mudguards and top quality lights are essential, all other things nice to have.

I now put ice tyres on the MTB fro winter to feel safe when it's really bad, but I didn't actually use them once last winter!

D

Deleted member 1258

I use my geared bike in summer, end of March to end of October, then swap to fixed for the winter, end of October to end of march. I'm retired now and try and get two rides a week in summer and winter.

smoggie

i've got my road bike delivered a couple of weeks ago and thinking that I might keep it off the road during winter - Bugger really, I ordered it in may and it took this long to arrive. Think I'll pick and choose my days but primarily use the Hybrid

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You’ll need to watch out for icy roads at that time. Most local authorities publish their gritting routes online. There are usually primary and secondary routes. So plan routes taking advantage of gritted roads. Otherwise if your bike supports it, go off road in winter. The more porous surface generally means ice or frost is rarely an issue.
Council gritting relies on sufficient motor traffic to grind it in and make it work, so if you're riding early, before many motorists are out, you'll just be cycling on patchy ice instead of sheet ice, as I've discovered to my cost.

Get ice tyres or go off road. Don't rely on road gritting. That's for motorists not us.

Slick

Guru
I commute all year round and leave at 6am winter and summer.

I love the bright summer mornings, everything just seems easier and more pleasant but when winter comes I get a different type of enjoyment, I think it's the sense of overcoming adversity on some level as poor weather just adds to the challenge. I do have a winter bike with full mudguards and a rack but I toyed with the idea of giving it a miss as despite what others say, salted roads play havoc with bikes and it's difficult to stay on top of it all year. I did a bit in the local velodrome which I really enjoyed but lockdown put paid to that but by that time I was back on the road anyway.

Long and short, dark mornings are easy, as is wet windy weather but salt does my head in and I can see myself retiring back to the track during January and February next year.

I love going out after dark during the winter. Nothing more satisfying than a ride in crisp, cold, clear conditions, when it's just you, your bike and the night.

Temps drop like a stone out here in the boonies, so plenty of layers is a must. I might look like the Michelin Woman on a bike, but I've only myself to please. :blush:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This winter I will have a spare wheelset pre-fitted with Schwalbe Winter studded tyres for icy mornings.

My other top tips for winter commuting in comfort are decent gloves and BBB BWS-04 overshoes.

Top Bottom