GEARING

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fudgedog

Advise please, I've a 50/34 at front with 12/23 cassette. Some of the hills round Perthshire are pretty steep. I've only had to get off and push once up part of Glen Quaich but was wondering if I change to a 12/25 (27) will I really notice a difference. Second question bike has Fulcrum 7's thinking of upgrade to 3's or any suggestions.

A 27 at the back (which I have with 52/39) will be a lot easier esp on the long drags uphill - but the downside is that it leaves a few big gaps in the gearing. I'd go for the 27 and practice until you develop the muscles to cope with a 23.

Not ridden the 3's but Campag wheels (which these are) in this price range are pretty tasty and are well worth the money - get the wheels first as you may find that the increased stiffness,less weight and better quality hubs will get you up the hills without needing to change the cassette.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Gearing Q - You'll notice a difference all right - going from 23 to 25 is essentially giving you an extra gear below your current lowest one. 27 will give you another one.
Can't help with the wheel one, but someone else will be along soon.

Top Bottom