Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
During a ride the other day i noticed my gears getting a bit stiff towards the highest gear its 1x9 it wasn't also changing very smoothly was ok though
so when i got home i used the adjustment barrel on the leaver and seemed to be ok.

Took it out just now and they wernt smoothly changing again so i adjusted again.

The lever seems to have stiffened up a little too

Its a vitus nucleus only used a few times. Box 4 rear mech
Any ideas?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Perhaps some dirt has got in between the gear outer (sleeve) and the gear inner (cable)?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This is 1x drivetrain right. It might have lost adjustment or was badly adjusted from the shop. I imagine you've bought this on the net so can't get it back to the shop.
The only thing to do is start again. You'll only need to loosen the cable using an Allen key. Plenty of videos on YouTube but I believe there is a Box specific one.
MIght be worth removing the cable and greasing it but may not be possible as the end will likely be frayed.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
If it’s new, take it back to the selling LBS if you can?
Bought it from wiggle online, otherwise i would, id expect them to need a little adjusting from new as the cable would stretch a bit i guess
But its the stiff lever i cant figure out.

I think i might do as suggested and just strip the whole lot when i have time

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I haven't taken it apart that far yet as im using it soon and not confident enough to get it working quickly

I dont think its the lever tho as in the lower gears its loose then as it gets higher up the cassette towards the biggest ring it stiffens up

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is that just in the biggest cog? If so, then your derailleur endstop is probably set incorrectly and stopping the mechanism from going over far enough.

Top Bottom