gelert solo or

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you decide to go with the Gelert maybe buy from this place below.
http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/gelert-solo-tent-p-1680.html

I found somewhere online where it was cheaper when postage was added but can't find the website sorry.

Someone is trying to flog one on here complete with a groundsheet.
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=3663

I guess you really need to consider that the argos one is twice the price!

I don't know either but I know the Argos one had a bit of a cult following, though it used to be green, not keen on the orange.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Riverman said:
I guess you really need to consider that the argos one is twice the price!

It might be twice the price but it has many positive endorsements. I don't recall seeing any for the Gelert.

I've been very happy with the durability and robustness of my green version of the Argos tent. It's also very compact and will suit the original poster's needs well.

coopman

I used a gelert solo last year, did grand and was well tested in rain, only negative point i would give it, is that its not exactly spacious, but if your after small and light it does the job perfectly.
In fact, if you want it, its yours for 10 quid plus whatever postage you desire! Included is an extra homemade grounsheet and better pegs than the bent coat hangers it came with.
Its in as new condition as you can get without it being new.
I decided to got for a slighly larger tent as I fancied a little more room in the tent (quechua t2 ultralight pro).

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Coopman, I could well be taking you up on that offer. Can I l let you know in a few days?

I'm just looking at blowing the budget on a bikeamper and forgetting all about swapping my sleeping bag. Or New lighter sleeping bag and one of the two tents above.

Don't take my word for it though. I remember we were discussing it in another thread just do a search for bikcamper

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd go for the Argos myself. The Gelert is pretty low to the ground, and I'd struggle to sit up in it.
Note that the price of the Argos seems to vary on a day by day basis. Standard price is £48, today it's £32, 11 days ago it was £24.

HelenD123

Guru
andrew_s said:
I'd go for the Argos myself. The Gelert is pretty low to the ground, and I'd struggle to sit up in it.
Note that the price of the Argos seems to vary on a day by day basis. Standard price is £48, today it's £32, 11 days ago it was £24.

I was just going to make the same point. I wouldn't want a tent I couldn't sit up in. It would be pretty miserable in the rain.

I have the Argos one (couldn't resist a bargain after people posted about it last year!). I've only done a test run in the garden but I was pretty impressed. Definitely worth the £25ish I paid for it.

coopman

replied to your pm redbike.
I agree with others about the sitting up in a tent, hence the reason I went for a larger tent, other than that though there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the tent regarding quaity or waterproofness.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Sitting up is neither here nor there. I only want it for cyclo-touring. During the day I will be riding, at night sleeping. A few lbs less weight is worth the sacrifice of a low roof.

RedBike said:
Sitting up is neither here nor there. I only want it for cyclo-touring. During the day I will be riding, at night sleeping. A few lbs less weight is worth the sacrifice of a low roof.

Sitting up to cook inside in bad weather is infinitely easier than leaning on your elbows and doing it. You can do it though. For the money I guess you haven't lost anything if it doesn't suit.

Top Bottom