Gels mixed in water bottles, good idea ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

airborneal

This may be a common thing, not sure.
The other day I was mixing an energy drink and it said to mix with 500ml of water.
My bottle was 600 ml capacity so I thought I'd mix in a gel and a little more water.

Do others do it, was it a good or stupid idea ?

Saved reaching in the back pocket and opening the gel on the move etc.

Happy cycling !

yello

Would it mix? I'd experiment first.

D

Deleted member 23692

I've done it loads of times - it mixes OK, it tastes OK and I'm still alive.

Chuck an electrolyte tab in the mix too for the ultimate experience :smile:

Ummmm....... What's the point? 'Energy drinks' are just various sugars in powder form designed to mix with water for convenient delivery from a bottle. 'Gels' are just various sugars in gel form designed to be conveniently delivered in one go from their packaging. If you don't want them in gel form then cut out the whole 'buy gels / reach into back pocket' issue and put a bit more 'energy drink' powder in the bottle if you think the 500ml/600ml difference makes it too weak: simpler, cheaper, less wasted packaging.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ummmm....... What's the point? 'Energy drinks' are just various sugars in powder form designed to mix with water for convenient delivery from a bottle. 'Gels' are just various sugars in gel form designed to be conveniently delivered in one go from their packaging. If you don't want them in gel form then cut out the whole 'buy gels / reach into back pocket' issue and put a bit more 'energy drink' powder in the bottle if you think the 500ml/600ml difference makes it too weak: simpler, cheaper, less wasted packaging.
You saved me typing that!

A very observant train guard had a quick chat with me on the way back from my long ride on Saturday. She said she liked my singlespeed bike and asked if I had mixed something like egg powder in my drinks! (There was a powdery appearance at the top of one bottle.) I explained that I mix maltodextrin powder with OJ and water. Eggy drink...? :wacko: No thanks! :laugh:

I mix maltodextrin powder with OJ and water. Eggy drink...? :wacko: No thanks! :laugh:

She had a point though: your mix does look very much as I imagine a mixture of water and egg powder might look. 'Unpalatable' is the word I'm searching for there I feel. (And yes, I realise mine looks like milk and that on a hot day, after a few hours, that probably looks conceptually unpalatable too :rolleyes: )

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
She had a point though: your mix does look very much as I imagine a mixture of water and egg powder might look. 'Unpalatable' is the word I'm searching for there I feel. (And yes, I realise mine looks like milk and that on a hot day, after a few hours, that probably looks conceptually unpalatable too :rolleyes: )
It hasn't been quite so bad since I started using a hand blender to mix it up, though there is usually still a small amount of undissolved powder left in each empty bottle.

OP
OP
airborneal

airborneal

Yes I know there are other ways etc etc, it's just I found myself standing there with a bottle [actually it was 700ml, my mistake] with a void at the top. I sometimes add different stuff [even vimto or squash], but I had a couple of gels. The mix was no problem and actually better than a lot of powder drinks.

Tasted really good, no belly ache

Regarding cost, I picked them up really cheap about 35p each.

I suppose the mix was so good because of the wonderfully rough roads around the Tendring area and well agitated !

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On long rides I top my bottles up at shop stops with anything that catches my eye. Sometimes water, sometimes coke, sometimes OJ, lucozade etc. I end rides with an interesting cocktail. I've never considered adding a gel, but hey, give it a go. It's unlikely to do you any harm. It might even be quite pleasant. Or it might not.

mangid

Guru
Yes I know there are other ways etc etc, it's just I found myself standing there with a bottle [actually it was 700ml, my mistake] with a void at the top. I sometimes add different stuff [even vimto or squash], but I had a couple of gels. The mix was no problem and actually better than a lot of powder drinks.

Tasted really good, no belly ache

Regarding cost, I picked them up really cheap about 35p each.

I suppose the mix was so good because of the wonderfully rough roads around the Tendring area and well agitated !

Why wouldn't you just fill the void with water, it's not going to dilute the energy available, and gives you a tad more hydration ?

Personally I stopped the sugar drinks ages ago, and just use the electrolytic tabs to give a bit of flavour and some salts. My big issue is I'm crap at remembering to hydrate, last Sunday I did 112 miles and maybe drank maybe 2/3 of a bottle.

OP
OP
airborneal

airborneal

I didn't fill the void with just water because I find the taste weak as it is. Adding water wouldn't have satisfied my taste buds. Adding the gel did. As I said before I often add squash / vimto etc [with a bit of water to top up and more to improve taste.

Top Bottom