Gels / recovery drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
There does seem to be a load of complete cr*p talked about drinking while cycling - like the 'you should be drinking a water bottle full (of isotonic fluids) every hour' business :angry:

Well, in the 300km a couple of weeks ago, over 18 hours in cool, fairly windy conditions, I reckon my total fluid intake was about 4 litres - and that's including the cups of tea and coffee at the control cafes. If I'd been anywhere near 1 bottle per hour, I would have drunk well over 10 litres and been looking for a loo every hour :whistle: instead of just at the cafes. I don't think I was particularly dehydrated by the end either. Possibly a little but I didn't have an urgent desire to keep drinking that I usually get when I'm dehydrated. And while I had cold hands and feet (after rain, it was a very clear cold night with mist rising off the wet roads), I certainly wasn't unduly knackered - beyond what you'd expect for a reasonably hilly 300.

Why aren't people told to listen to their body? As Yello points out, the thirst mechanism developed for a reason.

Judderz

Usually make my own....kinda

I use the Hi 5 Zero tablets all the time, on shorter rides (up to 20miles) I just use the Hi 5 tablets on their own, on longer rides, I use the tablets with added Maltrodextrin, Beta Alanine and Caffeine.

I make my own power bars and gels using the same ingerdients as above...will post recipes later as at work.

Veloscot

Über Member
I've been using High5 4:1 and H5 energy gels for a long time with good results. Although I get sick of the sweet taste and often yearn for plain water after a while, the High5 stuff does genuinely work for me. I usually ride longer distances with one bottle of plain water and a second bottle with H5.

I really notice the difference most when I decide to go out on a training ride carrying just plain water. When this happens I get muscle cramps much earlier in the ride so the High5 stuff certainly works.

david k

Hi
There does seem to be a load of complete cr*p talked about drinking while cycling - like the 'you should be drinking a water bottle full (of isotonic fluids) every hour' business :angry:

Well, in the 300km a couple of weeks ago, over 18 hours in cool, fairly windy conditions, I reckon my total fluid intake was about 4 litres - and that's including the cups of tea and coffee at the control cafes. If I'd been anywhere near 1 bottle per hour, I would have drunk well over 10 litres and been looking for a loo every hour :whistle: instead of just at the cafes. I don't think I was particularly dehydrated by the end either. Possibly a little but I didn't have an urgent desire to keep drinking that I usually get when I'm dehydrated. And while I had cold hands and feet (after rain, it was a very clear cold night with mist rising off the wet roads), I certainly wasn't unduly knackered - beyond what you'd expect for a reasonably hilly 300.

Why aren't people told to listen to their body? As Yello points out, the thirst mechanism developed for a reason.
litres or a litre an hour is the correct amount to drink whilst cycling as so many factors can affect what intake is required.

I tend to drink alot of fluids anyway

its not possible to say 10litres or 4

Ive been out when people have been riding along fine in decent weather, next thing collapsed from heat stroke, heat exhaustion, and dehydration, yes some can say drink when thirsty but as medical facts prove if your mouth is dry then your already dehydrated and it also states the same thing in this months Cycling plus magazine.

Strom

Hi Guys
From experiences in the past and for different times in my training i have used a variety of products on the market!!
Here are my recommendations:-
  • Go Electrolyte-Ideal for hot days or a heavy sweaty training session-Used before,during or after for an energy boost and rehydration,putting back what you have sweated out!!.
  • SIS Superhydro-Low calorie hydration drink to replace the salts you sweat out on a long hot day, I find if I just use water for rehydration I get horrible cramps
  • Go gels-High carbohydrate energy gels-whenever you need a boost!!
  • PSP22-Carbohydrate energy fuel
and last but not least
  • Syntrax Nectar Whey Protein Isolate-Zero Carbs,Zero Fat, plenty of protein, Ideal to repare damaged muscles with out adding weight like.
Take as and when YOU need it!!
Hope this helps,now its time to try some!!
smile.gif

Top Bottom