General maintenance before work!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Was it a carbon one by any chance?
One of the early Via Nirones, alloy frame. I like to think I killed it with my (former) superman abilities :laugh:

KneesUp

Guru
I should do more / some maintenance.

I have this in my pocket at the moment. I need to re-fit it in the cold and dark before I go home. Fortunately there are no bits missing, as it feel off when I parked up.

32305307218_34a23d6d06_z.jpg

Lookrider

You can with Schrader valves. Presta needs an adapter like this...

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Presta-Schrader-Brass-Adaptors-Converter/dp/B00EYG43T0

I'm wondering if h&s has now prevented the use of garage air pump for bikes
I have an adapter as such and I found that the shoulder is such that it prevents the garage air nozzle going on far enough ...now this may make sense as I'm a believer in having to engineer something into a product to prevent mis use as a sign such as " not for bikes " will be ignored and can be dangerous
The adaptor does fit a manned garage where the guys are in control of correctly delivered air pressure
So maybe its these automatic machines that the adaptors will no longer fit the air nozzle

Has anybody else found this as well or is it that I got unlucky choice of air machine at the garage
The same machine worked in the car that was waiting impatiently for me to attempt several times

Drago

Legendary Member
Holy thread resurrection!!!

When i had a job everything was sorted the night before - my lunch, my uniform, my bicycle, the works. This meant the start to every day was smooth, hassle free, and I got the maximum rack time in the mornings.

Mrs D would do the opposite, running round like a loon to sort everything out, periodically panicking when something was awry. This meant she started he days on the wrong foot, with stress and worry.

Now I get up at 0530hrs to make Mrs D's lunch and fill her travel mug with coffee, thus alleviating some of the stress from her day.

A little bit of self discipline is all it takes.

Lookrider

Holy thread resurrection!!!

When i had a job everything was sorted the night before - my lunch, my uniform, my bicycle, the works. This meant the start to every day was smooth, hassle free, and I got the maximum rack time in the mornings.

Mrs D would do the opposite, running round like a loon to sort everything out, periodically panicking when something was awry. This meant she started he days on the wrong foot, with stress and worry.

Now I get up at 0530hrs to make Mrs D's lunch and fill her travel mug with coffee, thus alleviating some of the stress from her day.

A little bit of self discipline is all it takes.
Yes I know
The post I replied to was circa 2018
That's why I wondered if the adaptors no longer fit the air nozzle
I had a flat today and co2 can valve had a failed o ring so with no inflator to help....the garage was only 80mt away so that was how as last resort I ended up there

Lovacott

Über Member
ALWAYS have the bike ready the night before. And you really need your own pump, a track pump is ideal. I and many others have found the Topeak Joe Blow to be a good pump for regular home use.
I have the bike ready by the front door before I go to bed. I check the tyres in the morning while the kettle is boiling for my pre commute cuppa.

As I pinch test the tyres, I also have a go at wobbling the wheels side to side to make sure the bearings are not over worn.

I habitually try both brakes whenever I first mount a bike, even if I've only got off it for a few seconds. During the first minute or so of my commute, I run up and down the gears front and back to make sure everything is running smoothly (my first half mile is downhill and then flat so it's the perfect time to do a running check).

I always carry a pump with me. One of the blokes at work went out on his Carrera Hybrid on Easter Sunday and had to walk four miles home after he got a flat. I asked him if he'd tried to repair it but neither he or his missus carry a pump or repair kit.

There should be a law against such recklessness.

Lovacott

Über Member
Mrs D would do the opposite, running round like a loon to sort everything out, periodically panicking when something was awry.

I have my bike gear laid out, my pannier packed, the kettle filled ready to be switched on and a teabag sitting waiting in my cup.

She'll spend two hours frantically looking for the car keys she's holding in her left hand.

According to her though, my level of preparation makes me a saddo?

Drago

Legendary Member
But a chilled out, un stressed saddo.

Zanelad

Guru
Another vote for the night before, especially if I'm leaving for work at 06.30. Then a quick check that the tyres are still firm in the morning and we're ready to go.

Bike is usually moved from the utility room to the hall as well to keep the noise down for Mrs Z. Kit on a chair, take Mrs Z's medication and breakfast in, slip on the lycra and away we go.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have the bike ready by the front door before I go to bed. I check the tyres in the morning while the kettle is boiling for my pre commute cuppa.

As I pinch test the tyres, I also have a go at wobbling the wheels side to side to make sure the bearings are not over worn.

I habitually try both brakes whenever I first mount a bike, even if I've only got off it for a few seconds. During the first minute or so of my commute, I run up and down the gears front and back to make sure everything is running smoothly (my first half mile is downhill and then flat so it's the perfect time to do a running check).

I always carry a pump with me. One of the blokes at work went out on his Carrera Hybrid on Easter Sunday and had to walk four miles home after he got a flat. I asked him if he'd tried to repair it but neither he or his missus carry a pump or repair kit.

There should be a law against such recklessness.
Sounds a bit OTT to me TBH. Bikes are not so complicated or sensitive to need so much checking.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its not OTT - he's an old pilot.

I do a full pre ride check every day, takes seconds once youve got the mnemonic memorised and practised a few times.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've never done pre ride checks, I've always done a weekly check.

Drago

Legendary Member
Full pre ride check every day, and if the bike has been left unattended during the day a quick ABC pre ride check.

Its a lesson written in the blood of the less careful, like the lady copper in Brum who suffered serous back injuries because someone thought it would be funny to slacken her seat clamp, or the rider in Sarfampton that ended up under a lorry when his crank snapped and he subsequently lost control.

Life is a game that I intend winning as long as possible, and if one wants to win one plays every card in the deck. It takes maybe 10 or 15 seconds a day, which is a fair exchange in my mind. Naturally, like many other things in life, those with good discipline manage this sort of thing better while those with poor discipline make excuses instead.

Top Bottom