General utility bikes - how much gearing do you REALLY need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Been thinking about the gearing on my couple of salvaged fixer-uppers and comparing this to my old 5 speed racer I had when I was a teenager and the 3-speed roadster that replaced it. All 4 bikes were/are on 26" diameter rims.
My teen years 5 speed Raleigh I would guess (I can't remember the exact front sprocket count but probably around 48T or so) ran gearing between about 44 and 89, and I tended to use 2nd, 3rd, 4th most of the time as 1st was too low to bother starting from on the flat and 5th was too hard a slog to push against unless you were pointing downhill with a tailwind. So to all intents and purposes, the bike was mainly used as a 3 speed.
When I replaced the 5 speed racer with a 3 speed Sturmey geared roadster I found a similar thing; the 1st gear was ok for pulling away, 2nd was for general use, but 3rd was again really a bit too high unless gradient and wind conditions were in my favour. So most of the time the roadster was only ever ridden as a 2 speed.
My Apollo skip bike is a 10-speeder and IIRC runs 36 & 48T on the front and a 14-17-20-24-28T cluster at the back. If I discount the 2 worst gears for chain deflection reasons I end up with an 8-speeder giving me a set of ratios between 33 and 89.
The Freespirit skip bike is another matter. That runs, IIRC, a 24, 34 & 42T set on the front and a 14-16-18-21-24-28T rear cluster. Again, if you ignore the chain-deflecting offenders you end up with 16 useable speeds, but the low range is silly low - from a 22 to a 39 gear! Realistically, given my local terrain and intended use, low range is totally superfluous and will not even get used. Middle range gives me six ratios between a 32 and a 63 gear and the high range gives me 5 ratios between a 46 and a 78 gear.
My dilemma here, given the rubbishy twist grip shifters, do I persevere with keeping the bike as a 16/18 speeder, or do I just remove the front changer mech for simplicity, and run the bike as a permanent 5/6 speeder? If I do this, do I opt for the flexibility and lower gears of the middle chainring, but limit top speed, or do I leave it permanently on the biggest sprocket and accept that sometimes I might have to slog it harder? I weigh 190-ish lbs and I'm not going to be carrying heavy shopping or anything similar. The bike I would guess is about 35 lbs, much the same as my old 3 speed roadster.

united4ever

Über Member
looking at replacing my hoy shizuoka which had only 8 gears. possible alternatives are a sirrus or bad boy. both have lots more gears which kind of puts me off for my flat commute. I just want it kept simple so may end up just getting another hoy shizuoka.

Guess it's different depending on where you are...

Out here in the fens, it's pretty flat, but there's nowt to stop the wind blowing through. So when you've got a stiff headwind on an arrow-straight road, you really do need those granny gears.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The Freespirit skip bike . . . runs, IIRC, a 24, 34 & 42T set on the front and a 14-16-18-21-24-28T rear cluster. . . .the low range is silly low - from a 22" to a 39" gear! . . . . low range is totally superfluous
. . . do I persevere with keeping the bike as a 16/18 speeder, or do I just remove the front changer mech for simplicity, and run the bike as a permanent 5/6 speeder? If I do this, do I opt for the flexibility and lower gears of the middle chainring, but limit top speed, or do I leave it permanently on the biggest sprocket
My recommendation is to try to find a 'corncob' or almost (ie close ratio) rear block for your freewheel: 13-19t would be good and meet all your riding requirements. Couldn't find a 13-19 but here are two others. Ebay or Ebay
when you've got a stiff headwind on an arrow-straight road, you really do need those granny gears.
I know where you're coming from but the OP probably does not need a 22" gear. If the wind's that bad he/she will not be riding; 35" would be short enough. OP is from London so chances of this bike taking on the Fens is low.

I know where you're coming from but the OP probably does not need a 22" gear. If the wind's that bad he/she will not be riding; 35" would be short enough. OP is from London so chances of this bike taking on the Fens is low.

See where you're coming from. But it's one of those where the answer depends on where you happen to be standing. :smile:

On the flip side, there are some parts of London where you *will* need the gears. Pentonville Road. Highgate Hill. Stamford Hill. Highbury Barns... :whistle: Not sure your average commuter would want to be doing that on a fixie... :surrender:

... My dilemma here, given the rubbishy twist grip shifters, ...
My first thought? Change the twist grip shifters. End of.

[OK - I hate the bloody things with a passion! Declaring my interest! :tongue: But I suspect that's where the problem lies, rather than the bits around the chain :smile:]

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bet your single speed bike doesn't weigh 35lbs, @ColinJ !
True! I'd guess that it weighs about 19-20 pounds, though I haven't weighed it.

Actually, it would be interesting to know. I'll stand on my bathroom scales with and without the bike and see what the difference in the 2 readings is ...

Answer: 20.5 pounds. That includes front and rear lights plus Garmin and mount.

I weigh the same as SkipdiverJohn but I do sometimes carry a heavy bag of shopping (a filled 35 litre rucksack and occasionally a second, smaller bag too) plus a heavy d-lock!

D

Deleted member 1258

If I was looking for a bike that was purely a utility bike I'd get a fixed, unless the area was exceptionally lumpy.

Top Bottom