Genesis make a wrong 'un

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
Yes, I'm aware of that.

Do you have any bikes you could link to that are cheaper and lighter?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Maybe, but I can't be bothered... Do you work for them, or are you a brand enthusiast?

I thought it was a reasonable question @outlash asked.

If you can't be bothered to back up your claim, it just sounds like you made it up off the top of your head or are repeating something you've read elsewhere.

Fwiw, I've just done a quick google, and as far as I can see, going by review weights rather than manufacturers' claims, the Datum is more or less the same weight as an equivalent spec GT Grade (first comparable bike that came to mind).

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
No, but if you're going to make claims without backing them up, I'll call BS.

The Bike Shop?

outlash

also available in orange
Funnily enough my LBS is called Broken Spoke, they're of the 'shoppers & BSO' type of shop but i'm fairly confident even they would agree with me.

leahcim

It's absolutely hideous! It's all wonky with stupid shaped tubes. It looks like they've taken a leaf out of Giant's style book, and Giant are a brand who know how to make an ugly bike.
I don't like it. Go on, tell me I'm wrong.

I think you're wrong :smile: Although I bought one so maybe I'm biased. In essence it just looks like a road bike to me 2 round wheels check, drop bars, check. If I asked my so what it looked like she'd say "a bike"

I kind of like the stealth black colour having seen it in the flesh and ridden it a few times.

TBH I've seen very few bikes that I think look aesthetically great. Bikes aren't Ferraris or Jaguar E type in terms of having jaw-dropping aesthetics. At least not to me.

The closest perhaps was an orange specialized roubaix I saw - but that cost £5k. I was tempted when I saw the cheaper £4k Specialized Roubaix in a light blue. If I was buying a bike on looks I'd probably get a specialized, but I've never ridden one. Perhaps the shape that looks nice isn't so nice to ride - and Specialized seem to cost £600 more for the same spec as others.

Common sense prevailed in the end and I went for the cheaper bike - and to some extent it's like being in a car, I'm not really looking at it when I'm driving along. It's like Karl Pilkington said at Petra. If you lived in Al-Khazneh your view looking out is of all these hovels and caves, whereas if you sleep in the hovels you get to see the beauty of Al-Khazneh. If someone else rides the beautiful bike, I'll see it and they won't. So I win :biggrin:

My view is that with all these bikes a good paint job really sets it off. So I really like the specialized orange/ blue bikes, and last year Trek Domane 5000 series. For some reason red bikes work well to me, be it planet X etc, so the red Datum (and I think the kona thingy in steel though) also looks good. As a rule I detest red cars, but it sort of works on more rounded surfaces.

I like the datum but it would have be nicer to be able to run fatter tires, but then I guess they would have had to increase the chainstay length, involving comprises elsewhere. All relatively irrelevant as I am not getting one or anything else anyway

Top Bottom