Geoffrey Butler Cycles Closed Down.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If a bike shop can't make money when there's a cycling boom and they are one of the few retailers allowed to stay open throughout, it suggests poor management might be a factor. That, or total unavailability of stock. The word was that you could sell anything with two wheels in 2020.

united4ever

Über Member
If a bike shop can't make money when there's a cycling boom and they are one of the few retailers allowed to stay open throughout, it suggests poor management might be a factor. That, or total unavailability of stock. The word was that you could sell anything with two wheels in 2020.

That would be my first thought too, not that I know much about the industry.

It's the skills to repair that is their USP surely, not their ability to source bikes, parts. Not sure if repairs earns enough to pay the bills for them though.

My LBS is having a cafe added on to the business which seems a popular combo but that also can be a very crowded market if you want to attract more than the niche cycle groups and maybe too much of a headache for a one or two man business.

My LBS is struggling to get new bikes, but even in the middle of winter he had 50 bikes to repair when I called in on Friday. He's quite happy to selling. Plenty busy on repair front.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And, if rumours are true, less than perfect management after previous proprietors sold up and retired.
I haven't been to Butlers for years, but new owners and going out of business doesn't sound very good.

And with bikes and parts available online at lower prices than a small shop can match you have to be very good at what you are doing to survive. Other businesses such as hobby and model shops have been severely diminished for the same reason, just not enough people want them or need them anymore.

I haven't been to Butlers for years, but new owners and going out of business doesn't sound very good.

And with bikes and parts available online at lower prices than a small shop can match you have to be very good at what you are doing to survive. Other businesses such as hobby and model shops have been severely diminished for the same reason, just not enough people want them or need them anymore.

There's a hobby and model shop (started off as a bike shop almost 80 years ago) near me that is doing OK, but that's because the vast majority of his sales are online.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk

To be fair it hasn't got new owners, it's been owned by George Clare since the early 70's.

I must add I don't know the details, but I will be very surprised if they have "gone out of business" as such. I'd imagine it's potentially more a case of the 'sum of the parts', George is of retirement age, he owns the premises and the future for a variety of reasons is looking uninspiring, at least uninspiring enough to conclude that keeping their bricks and mortar destination store is just no longer worth it. In part it's this bigger picture that is contributing to making me sad; Geoffrey Butlers was an institution and an era has come to an end, as I alluded to up thread; it feels like the seventies when Supermarkets grew at the expense of Green Grocers, Butchers and Bakers, it just doesn't feel me with joy

Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
I ran the CTC Shop on a franchise basis for them so I am really sad to see them close. I have the upmost respect and fondness for all involved at Geoffrey Butler Cycles, nearly all of them have been there for years; they must all be truly devastated on every level. I fear there will be more casualties during this pandemic, cycle retail has not been as amazing as many may understanbly assume.

Yes the demand for everything cycling during the summer was much higher than normal, but supply was much worse than normal and it's getting worse. A few weeks ago I quoted a customer 'June' for a Medium Trek Slash 8; which is a current bike, we had just sold the one we had ordered back in the summer; the customer responded unsurprisingly with "Oh no, five months"; I then finished what I had started and said "not June 2021, June 2022!".

The availability of parts is not much better, a few days ago I tried to quote for a custom build using the customer's existing frame and updating to Shimano GRX810, nearly all of that had late summer and into the winter lead times. I still work for a LBS and am personally still part time Furlough, I am bike fitter and salesman, I can not do the former and am very limited to what I can offer regarding the latter. Brexit has also taken everyone by surprise as well, imports are slower and far more expensive, expect to see significant price increases to bikes especially.

All the above will have been the same for Geoffrey Butler, I had a few chats with their Director Stephen Delaney during the last few months, talking through how we hoped we would get through this with supply being so poor. The distributors seem to be supporting the larger multi outlet online stores more than a quality LBS, their business model is far more 'click and collect' and they use their stores far more as that, a collection point to distribute their large stock holding. For sure they were brave and invested heavily with large orders that the suppliers fulfilled while they could. I know the majority of local bike stores were more conservative and paused to see what was going to evolve, for all we knew we were going to have to close and then have no revenue to pay for all that stock, that slight caution was both understandable and arguably I believe they were showing due diligence; sadly in hindsight it effectively resulted in them missing the opportunity to get stock while it was still available. Fair play to the decision makers and those who fund these large outlets, they took an educated gamble and it worked perfectly, but for me it's similar to Supermarkets versus local Green Grocers, Butchers and Bakers, it's all rather fabulous but I feel on many levels we are much poorer for it.

The multi outlet click and collect business model can work to an extent, although it has to be said it's these chains that often get into financial difficulty, but for me it's works far more on a business level than it does for what I would personally look for. I'm not just talking about the cycle trade, I'd much rather buy something from someone that offers a superior service than I would give my business to someone just because they can supply the item I want. In the case of a quality LBS they may offer a 'sizing' and then 'collection fit', the former not only helping with size choice but often what is the most suitable model as well; far more danger of ordering the wrong size or model when it's 'click and buy/collect'.

Odd times for us all, I sincerely hope all involved get something soon.

Nicely said. :bravo:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
George is of retirement age, he owns the premises and the future for a variety of reasons is looking uninspiring, at least uninspiring enough to conclude that keeping their bricks and mortar destination store is just no longer worth it.

Let's say you are 65 years old, bring in £24k a year net income from working full time, and you own freehold business premises that you can sell for £500k. If you stay active and don't get ill with anything too nasty, you might have another 20-25 years left in you. Flogging your business bricks & mortar, banking it, and getting, say the same £24k a year income - but now from the state pension combined with withdrawing some of your property sale proceeds, whilst putting your feet up sounds far more appealing than working for the same amount. From the owners perspective, it's a no-brainer, why put in silly hours a week in a shop for no more reward than you could receive for working zero hours a week?

Top Bottom