German wings 4U 9525

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 3615479, member: 45"]That's not what happened. Apparently.[/QUOTE]

That's how I heard it on the news. How did you hear it?

classic33

Leg End Member
Signed on the sick, on the day it happened, by the company, is another one doing the rounds.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The latest news report says the pilot was refered to a psychiatric hospital in the weeks before the crash, but his employer wasnt told and he never attended.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The latest news report says the pilot was refered to a psychiatric hospital in the weeks before the crash, but his employer wasnt told and he never attended.
Didn't that come out in the very near aftermath?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yet another fine example of confidentiality at work..
all those lives lost because the Dr couldn't inform the Airline that a pilot was fook7ng suicidal..

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yet another fine example of confidentiality at work..
all those lives lost because the Dr couldn't inform the Airline that a pilot was fook7ng suicidal..
The other side of the coin (if they change things) though is this: Pilot feels depressed/suicidal but doesn't go to see his Doctor because he knows the Doc will tell his employers, who will suspend him and eventually there is a risk he will lose his job. So instead he carries on flying until one day it all goes bang...... Hopefully NOT while he is in charge of a large jet full of people.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I feel like the doctor failed the pilot and those on board.

I come from a stand point of someone with a mental illness and know full well, that if you are unwell enough to need to attend a psychiatric ward as an inpatient, you are NOT well enough to be trusted to go there and admit yourself, nine times out of ten.

From my limited knowledge of German medicine, doctors do have the power to detain patients in this way (although specifics of which law this is done under seems to vary from state to state).

So I am puzzled as to why this action wasn't taken, if those concerns were there.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's like doing a S.136 over here. What they were like half an hour ago is neither here nor there, and what they may be like tomorrow is irrelevant - it's how they present at the exact moment the doctor/psychiatric nurse etc encounters them that determines whether the power can be used o detain them.

There's a big hole, a conflict, and a fractured continuity between several different pieces of legislation in several otherwise unrelated fields of endeavour.

MissTillyFlop

Also
It's like doing a S.136 over here. What they were like half an hour ago is neither here nor there, and what they may be like tomorrow is irrelevant - it's how they present at the exact moment the doctor/psychiatric nurse etc encounters them that determines whether the power can be used o detain them.

There's a big hole, a conflict, and a fractured continuity between several different pieces of legislation in several otherwise unrelated fields of endeavour.
Also depends whether a bed is available. Had this a few weeks ago, there wasn't. Had to sit in the doctor and wait for my husband to finish work, LOL.

MissTillyFlop

Yep, that's how they end up being detained in police cells instead, and then the police get criticised for another agencies failings.
I have dealt with the police and I have always found them to be very helpful and respectful. They have also helped me jump the queue as they said "Oi! She is way ill-er than you thought!!!"

I have nothing against the NHS, they do everything they can to help. But sometimes, that's not very much because they are rammed with people to deal with and under those circumstances, you have to deal with the most extreme cases first.

I am lucky enough to have at least a foot caught in the net at the moment.

Top Bottom