German wings 4U 9525

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I feel really sorry for his parents. They went all that way with the others to grieve, and then had to be taken aside to be told their son did it deliberately. What an awful thing to live with. Adds a terrible dimension to their heartbreak.

Yes, how do you get over something like that?? Also, everyone will know what their son did now.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
8 minutes of mounting panic must have been totally horrific for the passengers and crew. The pilot locked out of the cockpit must have been at his wits' end.

What surprises me is that it seems no-one got their mobile phones out and made a call during that 8 mins ....

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
What surprises me is that it seems no-one got their mobile phones out and made a call during that 8 mins ....
Seems like the relatively gentle dive angle didn't cause panic or concern until the last moments when the authorities report the screaming starting on the flight recording. I guess either they figured too late the trouble the pilot was having trying to get back in or realised how close the scenery was getting in the window.

classic33

Leg End Member
They used to have 3 people, the third was the engineer.

Maybe they knew something we don't now?
Fly by wire and automation took the flight engineer out of most cockpits.
At the time it was seen as progress and the way forward.

Also reduced the crew cost with one fell swoop.

It's more than suicide. When people commit suicide it's about removing themselves, not everyone else. This is more like those incidents where people go around shooting everyone and then shoot themselves. It's like an underlying hate.

The CEO of Lufthansa had a similar response. When asked by a journalist if it was suicide, he replied that when someone takes 149 people to their death, it is more than suicide. Usually the corporate reply would be evasive but he was brutally honest.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Why would the pilot being locked out ofvthe cockpit and banging on the door not have caused concern?
This is just a presumption, but I would imagine at first that he was trying to keep calm so as not to alarm everyone and then, in the latter stages, started to get frantic as the panic set in. This may be what alerted the passengers to the situation at the end, coupled with the view of the mountains. In fact, if the dive angle was subtle enough not to alarm the passengers, he may have only realised himself that he was running out of negotiating time at the last minute.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I think there should be 4 people in the cockpit at all times, 2 of them with guns just to make sure there's no funny business.

And if the ones with guns decided to do some funny business?

I think if someone wants to bring down a plane, eventually they're gonna succeed no matter what measure you put in place. An option for the control tower to take over seems like a good idea to me but I do believe there is a "black hole" over some larger oceans where contact is lost anyway.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
As someone has said, after 11/9 the passengers are not going to sit around to be threatened by armed men if they think they'll die anyway. There's an army in the cabin, prepared to defend the plane. Why lock the flight deck door?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I think there should be 4 people in the cockpit at all times, 2 of them with guns just to make sure there's no funny business.
Yebbut, security wouldn't let them through with the guns. Just like they don't let pilots through with more than 100ml of toothpaste, which is a fairly pointless exercise - as this tragedy proves.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Why would the pilot being locked out ofvthe cockpit and banging on the door not have caused concern?
I don't know, I wasn't there nor am I familiar with the layout of this or other aircraft (not a flyer) as to how visible/audible the pilots actions would be. I'm simply responding to the news reports that have said that the screaming didn't become apparent on the flight recorder until shortly before the impact.

Top Bottom